Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medium (1X12) Combo Amp recomendations(long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medium (1X12) Combo Amp recomendations(long)

Hey guys, I want to get some amp comparisons out of the way, though I've got a few ideas.
    I have three sounds I like, Thorogood/P90-Gibson Amp, SRV/Fender sound, and Judas Priest/Marshall/Screaming for Vengeance sound. I had a rack setup with a Rocktron Chameleon and Mesa 20/20 that was it AFAIK, but sold it off when times got rough. I have owned a Marshall AVT20 and it was much better than my old Marshall Mosfet stack and the Marshall Lead 12 I have owned, but lacked a little as it got louder.
    I currently have a Stratocaster Elite,Washburn J6 hollowbody, Gibson Explorer with Iommi Pickup and a Jackson DX10D with a Seymour Duncan Invader in the Bridge.
    The amps on my shortlist for home/garage play are :
    Mesa .22
    Carvin X-AMP
    Peavey Classic 30
    Marshall AVT50

other considerations are Marshall DSL401 and Crate Vintage Club 30.
    I like the AVT for durability(semi-solidstate) and the Peavey for Price.

Are any of these amp circuits/layouts considerably similar?
    Which will have the most crossover of the sounds I like?
    I love the Marshall AVT Sound/Price/Durability, but should I spring for the DSL? I respect every Mesa I've heard or touched, but I don't know if the .22 is a different animal than the Triaxes and Rectos that I have had a little experince with. Peavey looks promising, are the circuits for those and the Crate a knockoff of another classic? Is the carvin X-Amp enough like the Mesa to check out?
    Any help is appreciated
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Re: Medium (1X12) Combo Amp recomendations(long)

For a newer amp, I'd go with a Mesa F-30. It's got two channels, clean and medium to high gain... and the crunch channel's got a contour boost that gives even more gain and boosts the treble and bass. The amp will do all the sounds you're looking for. Plus each channel has its own reverb that's footswitchable on/off. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I've had one for a couple months and love it. It's great at low volumes and can get pretty loud if you need it to.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i have a 75 watt 1x12 laney hardcore max...combo

it gets the black sabbath tones....and nice harmonics..
      if your interested

Comment

I will double the recommendation on the F-30 dude. I have an F-50 and it rocks, but they are 150 dollars more than the F-30. Great clean channel. Crystal clear and brite fender all the way thru to old plexi sounds are easy to get. Channel 2 is insane, great distortion. I was going to buy a DSL 401, even had the money in hand to go buy one when a friend clued me in to the overheating problems they have. So I shelved that idea right away.

Chuck
        "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Black Label, I think I'm looking for more of a tube combo, but thanks.
          Chasbo, do you mean the F-30 is $150 more than the DSL or Mesa .22? I'm guessing both. I'm shopping used.

Somebody had a Mesa 45 listed in the classifieds, is that a different animal than the F-30? They are both 3 channels.

TJ, Thanks for the recomendations!
          When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

No problem. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I think Chasbo means the F-50 is $150 more than the F-30. The F-30 sells for $799 everywhere new (Mesa's pricing policy makes every dealer sell for the same price), but I got mine on ebay for $600 new. The F series are basically upgraded versions of the DC and Studio series, and I think they're supposed to be a little quieter. Also, the F-30 has EL84 power tubes and the F-50 and F-100 have 6L6 tubes. I believe the .22 also has EL84s, so it should be a little closer to the F-30 soundwise.

Comment

Doh! I just reread what he wrote and it says F-50 over F-30. I thought he put F-30 over F-30. Cool, these F-ers are getting good reviews from everyone here, and a few other places too, so I gott check it out. I s'pose I'll stick to the EL84 powered stuff. How 'bout that nomad 45? same story as the .22 and F-30? I'll leave ya'll alone to save pennies, try out, and possibly buy after I hear a nomad 45-55 testimonial.

Comment

The Nomads I heard are good, too, but I don't know much about them. I think their gain structure may be a little different and not as much, but I'm not really sure. I almost bought the Nomad 45 in the Classifieds a couple months back, but I wanted something with a little less power.

Comment

Working...
                X