Recommendations for a digial audio recorder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for a digial audio recorder

I was going to get myself a tascam 424 recorder, but decided that it would be better to jump into the 21st century and get a digital one instead. I have been looking at the Korg Pandora PXR-4 but don't know how reliable it or any digital unit would be. What are your guys recommendations?

Chuck
    "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Re: Recommendations for a digial audio recorder

The Zoom MRS4 works great.

Comment

I use an Akai DPS-12 12-track digital recorder, and I have gotten a lot of good use out of it. You can pick them up used pretty cheaply--but beware, do NOT buy one with the internal Iomega Jaz drive. The Jaz drive uses removable 1GB cartridges, but the cartridges are expensive, and the drives aren't really fast enough to do digital audio. Akai offered them in the initial run of the DPS-12, but the drives weren't up to the job, and most of them crapped out quickly, leaving the owner having to replace the Jaz drive with a SCSI hard drive, which I had to do--complicated and expensive.

But a DPS-12 with a hard drive is a cool machine--as good as the Korg 12-track currently on the market, and definitely more bang-for-the buck than getting a Zoom or Pandora.

Comment

Can't go wrong with a good computer [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I have the PXR4 and it's great but it does take a bit to get used to. There are many options buried in the menus. I still have to refer to the manual from time to time to find things. Other than that it is a very nice unit.
          http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

I'd recommend any of the Roland VS models. I've used the VS-880 and owned a VS-1680. They're pretty easy to use and you'll get really good sound quality. Plus, they are pretty reasonable in price, especially for a used one. Make sure that you find out the size of the HD and whether it has the VS8F effects cards. The effescts are pretty high quality, mic pres, amp sims, etc. You could probably pick up an 840 for a couple hundred bucks at most. I sold my 1680 for 875 or so which was a good resale price. I have not tried the other brands of workstations like the Roland but I assume they're all similar in ease of use and quality.

Comment

I would use a PC instead of using the smallest digital recorders like pandoras.You can buy yourself an M-Audio Audiophile and cheap multitrack software.Imo it's the best solution if you play alone.If you want something to bring to rehersal with the band than a good 8 track hard disk recorder is fine.Akai/Roland/Korg...find the one that fit you better also for the user interface.

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I am currently browsing e-gay to see what stuff sells for on average and also checking out the software route in case I want to use my PC as a station.

Chuck
                "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Personally, I prefer using my Akai over the PC workstation route. All I ever read about with PC recording are system conflicts and having to buy a $2,000 system to get a decent level of performance. Working on a more traditional-feeling system is a good way to get into recording, because you can spend your time learning recording techniques, rather than dealing with computer crap.

My advice, start with a new entry-level machine, like a Pandora, or go with a used machine at the level of the Roland VS-8 series, the Akai DPS series, or the Korg D-series. If you get serious about it, then consider plunging into the turbulent waters of PC recording.

Comment

I use the Pro Tools Digi001. This is PC based and it works great. I even took it to a club and recorded a live demo for a band.

Comment

One word of caution--buying used hard-disk recording gear can be risky. The machines can be touchy and the disks easily damaged. New is always the better way to go with this stuff, but maybe wouldn't make financial sense for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X