spider 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spider 2

http://www.line6.com/spiderII/ so what do you guys think ? I remember getting a lot of heat for saying these amps were good . looks like they finally did what I said right from the start ... make a head ! look at the mpeg samples of the evanesance dude [ben mooddy sucks] and the slipknot dude , I use to get cleaner/clearer and better tone than that as well . and the head is pretty cheap from what I can see online , and the 1/12 is 75 watts instead of the old 50 watts . if I ever get a practice amp or a new head this one is mine forsure . have any of you guys ever tryed one of these yet ? for a full fx rigg and head I think they would be great .//Steve

Re: spider 2

Ive got a deposit on one of these, the guy demoed it to me using a crappy £125 guitar in the shop, it sounded pretty decent.

Beats my Yamaha DG-60 hands down.

Comment

I played one a few times down at Steves Music.

I like.. MUCH better sounding than the original Spider 1.

They adressed most of the problems I could tell.

The clean channel can actually get.. clean.. woa, what a concept.

and, I have to admit.. really great scooped plam-mute tone when you want it.

I think it's a great amp.. at the price it's cool for practice and small jams. (The 2X12)

It doesn't have an effects loop... THAT sucks.

In the end, I went with a Tech21 Trademark 60 an my GNX2. I've set it up with a splitter and an A/B box, so I can use either the tech21 sans-amp section or my GNX as the preamp. I get the best of both worlds that way.

Comment

I haven't played the Spider 2, but I've heard some really good things. I played the first Spider in GC quite awhile back, I thought it was pretty neat and thought about possibly getting one at the time. I'm sure the 2 is even better.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Cool for practice?

I've played 3 shows with it, and never have to go above 5...It's LOUD.

Anyways, if I had to do it over again, I probably would have gotten a carvin halfstack off of ebay, but the Spider II is a great amp. Not even "for the money"...It's a great amp.
          Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Originally posted by 2Loud2Old:
            I played one a few times down at Steves Music.

I like.. MUCH better sounding than the original Spider 1.

They adressed most of the problems I could tell.

The clean channel can actually get.. clean.. woa, what a concept.

and, I have to admit.. really great scooped plam-mute tone when you want it.

I think it's a great amp.. at the price it's cool for practice and small jams. (The 2X12)

It doesn't have an effects loop... THAT sucks.

In the end, I went with a Tech21 Trademark 60 an my GNX2. I've set it up with a splitter and an A/B box, so I can use either the tech21 sans-amp section or my GNX as the preamp. I get the best of both worlds that way.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">so what did the head sound like ? if you try one mix a different cab with it and see how it sounds , I am curious , that the thing that makes the line 6 stuff week at high volumes the speakers they use to use but I haven't tryed any new stuff from them in the last 2 years or so but for the price that head sounds killer . but I still think I'll stick with my XXL and a X V-AMP through the loop [soon as they come out with em] and my Behringer cab ... also how'd the channels change ? was there that digital gap lol thats the only thing I hated about my spider was the 1 second gap when I would change channels , and the fact I had to pay 100 bucks for the bloody footcontroler the fb4 bastards lol //Steve

Comment

I didn't really notice a huge gap when changing channels.

The spider2 head I tried was hooked to a bottom Marshall 4X12, very very nice.

If you don't need an effects loop or don't mind shelling out for the foot controller.

In the end I had to side with Tech21.. it just has to many practical features to ignore, small size. loop, sans-amp direct XLR out. I don't gig much so it was perfect for my needs.

The amp itself excels at hard-rock and 80's metal tones.. it can do a decent scooped, but if I want extra crushing gain, the GNX has gain in spades.

Comment

2Loud2Old
                Member # 455 posted February 04, 2004 05:51 PM
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
                2Loud2Old
                Member # 455 posted February 05, 2004 10:11 PM
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                I didn't really notice a huge gap when changing channels. In the end I had to side with Tech21.. it just has to many practical features to ignore, small size. loop, sans-amp direct XLR out. I don't gig much so it was perfect for my needs.

The amp itself excels at hard-rock and 80's metal tones.. it can do a decent scooped, but if I want extra crushing gain, the GNX has gain in spades.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow, I have your exact same setup in mind, but I want the Trademark 10 and I have a RP2000. I currently have a Marshall AVT20, but no effects loop, so it's for sale!
                What kind of splitter and A/B box do you have?

Brian

Comment

Boy, talk about thread hijack. Sorry Steve. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

BT, I'm picking up a Trademark10 tomorrow. an AWESOME low watt amp in my opinion.

Here's how I run this stuff:

Amp modelers in general always sound best when going into a clean power amp section.

So, I have guitar-splitter-Amp Inst. in & GNX2 in. AMP FX loop send - to A/B Box A input. GNX out to A/B Box B input. A/B box output to AMP FX loop return.

This way, I can bypass the GNX when I want and use the Trademark pre-amp section only, or bypass the pre-amp section an use the amp models from the GNX straight to the Power-amp section.

The best of both worlds. Add a power engine 60 for 120 watts or 60/60 stereo.

For giging, throw the sans-amp direct XLR out to the board for extra un-coloured tone.

Oh, the A/B box and splitter are just some ones a friend made up, but morley has a nice one.

Comment

Boy, talk about thread hijack. Sorry Steve. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

BT, I'm picking up a Trademark10 tomorrow. an AWESOME low watt amp in my opinion.

Here's how I run this stuff:

Amp modelers in general always sound best when going into a clean power amp section.

So, I have guitar-splitter-Amp Inst. in & GNX2 in. AMP FX loop send - to A/B Box A input. GNX out to A/B Box B input. A/B box output to AMP FX loop return.

This way, I can bypass the GNX when I want and use the Trademark pre-amp section only, or bypass the pre-amp section an use the amp models from the GNX straight to the Power-amp section.

The best of both worlds. Add a power engine 60 for 120 watts or 60/60 stereo.

For giging, throw the sans-amp direct XLR out to the board for extra un-coloured tone.

Oh, the A/B box and splitter are just some ones a friend made up, but morley has a nice one.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">do you like the gain those trademarks give ? thats the only thing I never liked about em was the gain and their speakers sound way to bright as well but all the direct stuff sounds pretty good , do you run a processer through the loop or just run her dry ? //Steve

Comment

Well, I think you are into heavier gain than I usually use, so I don't know how valid my comments would be.

I'm of the Hard Rock VH to Iron Maiden/Priest and L.A. Metal Lynch, Bratta et all.

For that kind of stuff, gain-o-plenty.. even early Met. type tones can be found.

The "newer" gain tones, THAT CRUSHING TRIPPLE RECTIFIER sound you will not find in the amp.

You won't get the Line6 gain, that ones pretty unique, nor will it feel like an XXX.

However, my GNX can supply a similar sound when I use a 12 inch extension closed back cab.

I use the effects off of my GNX with the Trademarks, I have patches that use no modeling, and I personally enjoy Digitech effects.

I agree that the amp can sound bright, I've tamed it down with some eq.. I made a removable panel for the back, it adds a little more "oomph" to the bottom end.

And if I use my extension cab.. it gets ballsy alright.

For what I needed, the good outweighed any negatives.

I think Tech21 has been sadly overlooked.. one of the nicest SS amps overall I think.. not made overseas either.

Comment

Well, I think you are into heavier gain than I usually use, so I don't know how valid my comments would be.

I'm of the Hard Rock VH to Iron Maiden/Priest and L.A. Metal Lynch, Bratta et all.

For that kind of stuff, gain-o-plenty.. even early Met. type tones can be found.

The "newer" gain tones, THAT CRUSHING TRIPPLE RECTIFIER sound you will not find in the amp.

You won't get the Line6 gain, that ones pretty unique, nor will it feel like an XXX.

However, my GNX can supply a similar sound when I use a 12 inch extension closed back cab.

I use the effects off of my GNX with the Trademarks, I have patches that use no modeling, and I personally enjoy Digitech effects.

I agree that the amp can sound bright, I've tamed it down with some eq.. I made a removable panel for the back, it adds a little more "oomph" to the bottom end.

And if I use my extension cab.. it gets ballsy alright.

For what I needed, the good outweighed any negatives.

I think Tech21 has been sadly overlooked.. one of the nicest SS amps overall I think.. not made overseas either.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yeah I use to sell em , but I still haven't tryed the trademark 120 head yet that should be killer . the gnx is the newer digitech right ? I haven't been to familar with em in the last 5 years or so. //Steve

Comment

2Loud2Old
                          Member # 455 posted February 06, 2004 03:06 PM
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Have you picked up your new Tradmark 10 yet? If so, could you give me a little review?

Comment

Working...
                          X