Does paint affect speaker tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does paint affect speaker tone?

I found a decent used 2x12 cab, but someone painted the speakers themselves, one green and one red...I guess someone was going for a stoplight motif when vertical?...I don't know.

I didn't have time to try it out, but was wondering if anyone had experience with painted speakers. Will the paint affect the speaker tone? I can't tell what type of paint it is, but it's a pretty thin coat, and it kind of looks like a powder-type coat versus an enamel-type paint. Whatever it is, it's not real thick. And they're supposedly Celestion Vintage 30's.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Re: Does paint affect speaker tone?

Man, I would have to try it out, unless you can buy it for the price of the cab alone. And make sure they are Vintage 30s.

Having said that, I have heard some 12 inch speakers (four 12s in a no-name cab - I don't remember, but they might have been old Jensens) that had been spray painted with cheap ass Wal Mart paint. As you might could guess, that cabinet sounded like ass, but I don't know that it had anything to do with the paint: it could have been the amp (if I remember correctly, it was an OLD Peavey Bandit driving it), it could have been the speakers, it could have been the cab, it could have been the player or his Peavey Razor guitar... or, now that I think about it, it could have been the Pearl Light we usually had around...

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Keith
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

If I get a chance during the weekend I'll try it out, as well as bringing a screwdriver to open the panel up to see what speakers are really in there! The cabinet might be the best thing going for it. Thanks.
      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

If the speakers are Celestions and you like the sound of the cab, you can go for it, but lower the price for the paint. Personally, I think putting anything on the speaker changes its frequency responce. Another thing is, if it's a really thin coat the change may be noticeable only with a frequency analyzer. I once had a no-keeper acustic guitar and my younger stepbrother drew on it with a pen. I was furious and ready chop his hands off, but instead I spraypainted the front of that guitar. Guess what, the paint sucked out the last bit of sound it had. I know it's not exactly the same as with the speakers, but I think to some extent it's similar.

Comment

I have spray panited a few speakers here and there and as long as you don't cake the paint on they should sound ok. But....why are you painting them to begin with ?? To cover up a repair ?? That is probably what made the speaker sound like crap.

Matt

Comment

Well, I ended up getting the cab over the weekend. I'm pretty pleased overall. It's a black tolex Soldano 2x12 on casters in pretty good shape. The speakers turn out to be 8 ohm Celestion Vintage 30s that were wired in series. I rewired them in parallel (now 4 ohm) so I could use use with my Mesa 50/50 poweramp. The speakers are in good shape too, just painted like I said before, with a small 1/4 inch tear in one by the speaker's edge, next to one the mounting screws, so I figure it was probably due to someone's screwdriver slipping while working on it.

Now, that I have a close look at them, it almost looks like paint is some type of water-color. My friend thinks it may be fluorescent paint that glows with a black light. I don't have one so I can't tell, but it doesn't bother me anyway since you can hardly see it with the black grill cloth in place - which says "Soldano" on it!

The best part is that it was only $210 with tax any I was able to trade some gear in for it (this was at a Guitar Center) so I didn't have to pay any extra cash to them!

Comment

Cool! Glad it worked out!

Keith
              The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Working...
              X