Advice on updating my equipment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on updating my equipment.

My equipment is a little dated and I am a little bored with it. I am looking for suggestions on upgrading. I know there are a lot of tone experts here.

I want the sickest most saturated heaviest crunch I can get for Death / Black Metal.

Here is my current set up. Mesa Boogie Mark 11-C head, Marshall 4x12, Digitech 2112, Pod XT, some assorted other junk I never really use. I love the Mesa, but it is a little “old” sounding. No matter what pre-amp I run through the Mesa head, it still just sounds like the Mesa to me too.

I kind of like the idea of going to a full rack w/ preamps and power amps versus buying a Bogner Uber or a Soldano or VHT Pitbull head.

1.What do you guys recommend for a good rack for this kind of tone (preamp, power ampr effects, power supply, road case etc.)
    2.What do you think about the rack vs. head setup?
    3.What speaker cabinet should I go for? I see a lot of people talking about heads and preamps, but not much on speakers (which to me are just as important)
    4.Any good place to test out a Bogner/ Soldano or a rack set up in the NY/ CT/ MA area? I know there is a place (I don’t remember the name) next to Sam Ash in NYC that carries Bogner/Soldano but they don’t seem to friendly whenever I make the long trip down there.
    5.What should I be budgeting to spend and where should I buy it?

Re: Advice on updating my equipment.

you would be thinking of Rudy's Music Stop on 48th street. They don't carry them anymore. Your best bet is to find a very well equipped rehearsal studio and og jam in there for hours until you decide. There are many in NYC

Comment

For me, rack preamps have too many options and I wind up fussing with them too much. But if you're after versatility, then go for it.

If you're looking at heads, try the Framus Cobra, Engl Powerball, Bogner Uberschall, or VHT CL, CLX or UL.

For cabs, if you can get a matching cab if you buy the head.

I'm a West Coast guy, but Boston Guitar Works in MA carries a lot of high end gear. http://www.bostonguitar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv

For a new head expect to pay $1500 and up. For a new cab that matches the head, expect to pay probably $600 and up. Bogner Ubercabs are around $900 or so.

Comment

Goto Ultrasound Studios on W30th Street in Manhattan. Book any of the Ultra Studios on the 6th Floor and have a blast - at least 16 different heads from Brunos to Boogie Heartbreakers to Diesels. Lots of fun!!!!

Comment

Hehe, friend of mine used to work for Ultrasound. Very awsome place. Small world...

Comment

Wow, that place sounds awesome! Thanks for the advice. Can't wait to bring down a bunch of the Jackson's and try out the amps [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Do you know if they have a drum kit there too? It might be cool to have my drummer there t see how the tone matches some blast beats [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Once last question, can anyone recommend a good power amp that doesn’t warp your tone in any way from the preamp.

Comment

Working...
            X