pod or spider?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pod or spider?

ok heres the situation: i have about 300 bucks to spend on a new amp. i live in a small house and volume is a factor also. what i am looking for is tone,effects and versatility in a small amp. i have been looking at the pod and the spider 2 from line 6. as with anyone wanting to sell something they push up the best parts of each product but leave out the bad.
    what are the pro's and con's of each model and for the money which is the best buy?
    keep in mind that i have a small house so i dont need killer volume,but dont mind having that as an option for when i am really good enough to gig,$300.00 budget to play with,and i want good tones and versatility of use.
    i have heard that the pod can be connected to powered p.c. speakers and those used to make a amp. is this true?
    thanks in advance for your help and opionins.also any other amp/amp modler suggestions welcome.

Re: pod or spider?

well with the spider you get a power section and with the pod you get the use of trs outs.

they are supposedly the same brain i think.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I dont like the POD at all. I think anything plugged into computer speakers sounds like shit. I however, do like the Spider 212. I think it makes a great little practice/bedroom amp..............

Comment

The original POD's brain is the same as the original Flextone series, isn't it? The Spider uses a 'dumbed-down' version. The PODxt uses the basic sound engine from the Vetta (although dumbed down a lot).

That said, I would go for the Spider. Sure, you can hook the POD up to your computer speakers, but what happens if you want to jam with your friends? The Spider has a direct line-out, doesn't it? That way, you can still hook it up to a computer to record, while having a real amp to play in live situations, and a much better sound for practicing in your bedroom. Going through PC speakers in a POD isn't going to give you nearly as nice a sound as going through real guitar speakers.

Comment

I had a POD PRO and a Spider 112. POD PRO didn't sound good in my rack as a live setup. I was trying to cut corners and combine preamp/effects in one simple unit. I won't be fooled again. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

The Spider was a good practice amp but don't let it leave the house. Play with it live and you'll be disappointed. Fake processed tone, bad speaker, and that weird Line6 harshness at high volumes. The headphone out is good for phones and that's it. The Spider is a practice amp.. period. New Spiders may be better. I don't know.

I replaced the Spider with a Line6 AX2. Far superior amp. Too much practice amp but now I have a backup live amp that I'm not worried about my sound at a club. The AX2 sounds much better when I disconect the Line6 speakers and run it through my Marshall 1960 4X12 and mic it. The cab mellows out that harsh Line6 speaker sound and allows me to drop some of the mids on the amp and use the cab's natural mid tone to sweeten it up.

Hey Pro-Fusion - I want to pick your brain about your Rockmaster setup. I own one too for my live rig and I have some questions. Cool?

Comment

I'd say go for the Spider 2.With the same price you get an amp,not just a direct box.Sure,the pod will give you a better result in recording,but the spider won't be bad in that too.

Comment

Sure thing, catzo. PM me at your convenience. Since I just got my Rockmaster recently, I'm not sure I'd be of much help, though...

Comment

Just got a line 6 spider 2.

Its pretty sweet, dont know if all the default channels come as rock shred sound types... but mine did (maybe the shop guys messed with it?)

I've had it a few hours and its amazing i think. Going to need a while to play and figure it out etc but so far so good!

Comment

The only thing better for the bedroom than a Line 6 Spyder 2 is a hot chick with a flat head and a coaster on her lower back. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] jgcable.
                    i will most likely go with the spider 2. i played with one at GC the other day and it was pretty sweet,size is good for what room i have and it has enough volume to jam with as i wont be doin any gigging for quite a while yet

Comment

Working...
                    X