Effects for a rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effects for a rack

im thinkin of investing ina effects for a rack setup, what are like 5-8 general things to get? i definitely want a tc electronic g major. what else tho?

Re: Effects for a rack

My five essentials for a rack:

1) Furman Power Conditioner (PL-PLUS)
    2) Rackmount Tuner (I use a Korg DTR-1)
    3) At least one good parametric or graphic EQ. (I've got a DBX stereo EQ and an ADA MQ-1)
    4) Good effects / Delay unit (I use a TC Electronics 2290 Delay)
    5) Noisegate (Hush IICX or the newer one).

Here are some extra essentials that I happen to have in my rack in case you are looking for more ideas:

Rack Preamp: I've got a CAE 3+ in mine.

Power Amp: I have several power amps, but my main rack has a VHT 50/50 tube amp. Amazing tone!

Speaker Simulator: In case you have a 3-stage amp setup like I use, which basically is: Tube Amp -> Dummy Load -> Effects -> Power Amplifier. I have two HotPlates, a Palmer PGA-04, but my main rack has an original Palmer PDI-03.

BBE Sonic Maximizer: These easy to use units can make any sound appear like you've taken a blanket off from covering your cabinet up. Yet some don't like them. It's in my main rack, so I can use it, or leave it out if I choose through a switcher.

Rack switching gear: If you have multiple amps, effects, etc. that you would like to be able to switch between, this is absolutely essential to have.

John

[ February 12, 2004, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: JJGray ]

Comment

I've never had a problem with live feedback and such from my rack, so the Hush unit is entirely optional IMO.

If you're getting a G Major, that should have everything you need for effects, but I've used a Digitech TSR-12 for a few years now and it's great (though fairly complicated with all its submixers).

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well that was the expensive approach. i'm sure it kicks a$$. You can also put together a great sounding rack with less expensive stuff. Mine, for example:

Furman PL-Plus
        Rocktron Voodu Valve (pre-amp, parametric EQ, some effects)
        Rocktron Intellipitch (more effects, harmonizer, noise gate)
        Mesa/Boogie 20/20 (kick ass sounding power amp...ask around)
        Rocktron Midimate (decent foot pedal--dumb rubber buttons, but they haven't given out on me yet)
        Ernie Ball Volume Pedal (continuous controller for volume, wah, etc.)

There are plenty of alternatives that have been discussed on this board. Do some searches. Once racked and wired up, it's still pricey, but more in the range of a high end amp than a car. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It's also very common to put together a smaller rack to go with a head.
        This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Also good to keep in mind, the G-Major with the newer software (can be downloaded and installed via MIDI if you buy an older version model) has a parametric EQ in it already. It's a very good EQ, and not really too noisy, as far as I've seen so far. I have a G-Major in my rack.

Stu

Comment

thanks guys, wuld you mind puttin in prices tho? so i can see a range i would expect?

Comment

My rack is Furman PL-Plus, Rockmaster Pre, TCE G-Major, VHT 2902.
              The TCE G-Major comes with a built in tuner that is easy to see and works on the fly. One of the guys was correct in saying the G also has a parametric EQ feature available in newer software revisions or you can upload it to your older G. The G has a cool feature - channel switching via the MIDI floorboard. Plug your preamp's 1/4 footswitch jack into the G's channel switching jack, program your patch and then you can say bye-bye to your standard preamp's floor unit. Pretty slick.
              I've tried a BBE sonic max at a store with a Marshall JCM800 but I didn't care for the squeezed sound. It seemed to rob the amp of natural volume but I only played with it for 10 min. I hear others swear by it.
              I think the G-Major goes for around $500 new. When I bought mine I got a free G-Minor f/s. It was weird and not to my taste. I traded it in and got $40 for it. Not bad for a freebie.

Comment

The G-Major new like catzodellamarina said is around $500. Used...ehh...I'd guess you could get them for $350-400.

Stu

Comment

Working...
                X