Exodus' Tone. How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exodus' Tone. How?

I wonder if anyone knows what kind of set up Exodus used to get their sound. I know that now, Gary has modified Marshalls, but I've heard He used to use 2 Boss SD-1's linked together through a JCM 800 head to get the 'Fabulous Disaster' tone. I find this hard to believe, but I've never tried it Myself. The sound clips of the SD-1 from bossus.com sound pretty damn good, and I suppose if You linked 2 together You could get a pretty heavy tone. Does anyone have more info on this?

Re: Exodus\' Tone. How?

I had read that in a guitar mag many years ago. He had the Level all the way up and the Drive all the way down, or something like that. I can't remember what mag it was though, but he did use 2 of them together.

Comment

He also used two Digitech programmable distortions, at one time or another.

On the reunion tour they did a few years ago, he had an original (two-channel) Recto, plus a distortion box, I think.

He's insane. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mike
      Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I had read that in a guitar mag many years ago. He had the Level all the way up and the Drive all the way - yuup allmost all jcm 800 players do that ( in metal) it boosts your output ,

also a good way to go is a ts9

Comment

boss sd-1's and marshall 800's were the bay area thrash sound.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Ok stupid question, I will put my flame suit on, but does he keep the head on a clean channel or keep the head on a distorted channel and then add more distortion on top of it?

Comment

hi gain channell , put the sd - 1 / ts 9 in the front of it , ( you can put two also , with emg's and ts9 you get such somewhat slayerized/thrashy sound )

the stompboxes work as additional wolume boosters , eq on them is flat, the vol maxed , gain at 0/1.

i think also a on board guitar preamp ( emg made that - seymour also - 20 db boost ) would do the job fine.

Comment

I use the EMG PA-2 preamp and it sure does slam the front end of my CAE3+se, I love that thing... Gives the distortion a nice edge and more brutality...

Comment

Gary and Rick were also big fans of Rane eq systems. Not sure if they still use them or not, though.

IMO, Force of Habit was their best sounding album ever!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys. I've always wanted to know what Gary and Rick use to get that insane tone. Although I'm sure its mostly due to their awesome natural ability on the guitar. I'd like to try to duplicate their set-up to see what I get. I've got a OD-3 pedal and I'm gonna get a SD-1 and link them to see what I get.

Comment

If I remember correctly, FWIW, I'm pretty sure Todd Langner did some mods to their Marshalls at some point.

Comment

I read in an issue of Guitar World mag. from around`88 or`89 that they used Chandler Tube Drivers to boost the front end of their Marshalls. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by luckett:
                          If I remember correctly, FWIW, I'm pretty sure Todd Langner
                          did some mods to their Marshalls at some point.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You are correct!

Todd Langner did mod their Marshalls.
                          As I recall, they used to place a BOSS SD-1 in front of their
                          Marshall heads BEFORE Todd was involved.

Ultimatetone.com

Comment

Working...
                          X