What's the best way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best way?

I have a Rockmaster Preamp and a TCE G-Major. I have 2 options to run into my VHT2902. What would you recommend to get a better tone, crunch, and balls?

1. Rockmaster 0 db pre-output > TCE G-Major input > TCE G-Major output > VHT. (According to techs at TCE, the G Major likes a low level input to not overload it.)

2. Use the Common send/return loop of the Rockmaster into the TCE G-Major's input/output > slam the VHT with a +10 db pre-output from the Rockmaster.

BTW, Rockmaster has 2 pre-outs - 0db and +10db. The VHT is new and I haven't hooked a cab up yet. Tommorrow is the first gig with it.

Bonus question [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Should I run 16 ohms into my 5150 4X12 or 8 ohms into my Marshall 1960? How will the VHT sound best?

Re: What\'s the best way?

As always, it's best just to experiment and find what works and sounds best to you. What can get frustrating, though, is the G-Major's levels. You will most likely have to do a good bit of tweaking the Input/Output levels, both internally and externally on the knobs, in order to get it to sound its best in either situation. If you need help with that, we're here for ya. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I can't remember, been a while since I had a Rockmaster, does it have a stereo or mono loop? Personally, I prefer to keep things in "stereo", run the outputs of my preamp into my G-Major, stereo through everything else, then into my 2 stacked Marshall 1960 4x12s in stereo as well. Something about it just feels bigger to me that way, and if I have stereo effects going on in the G-Major it seems kinda stoopid to not take advantage of hearing that through the cabs. That's just me hehe.

I have the Egnater M4 preamp and run it directly into the G-Major, like I said. I always run my preamp at relatively low volumes, becuase they seem to compress a little at lower levels, and I like that. I then pump the volume back up with the G-Major, then pump it up even more through EQ units, to slam the power amp (my VHT 2/50/2 or my Mesa 20/20). Me likey that way. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Thrashin' sound at any volume, it works.

Stu

Comment

Re: What\'s the best way?

The Rockmaster is all mono so in order to run stereo you have to go Rockmaster > G-Major (Left mono IN) and utilize the G-Major R-L outputs to my VHT. I don't run in stereo anymore due to we only mic 1 side and ping pong effects or pitch shifting sounds weird coming out of the mains. Sounds nice on stage but the audience gets a different sound.

So it sounds like to get a good meaty sound, run like I outlined above, except I have to stay mono out of the G-major. Then use the levels of the G-Major to boost my signal. Thanks for the tip and I'll keep experimenting.

Comment

Working...
      X