Mesa Rectifier owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Rectifier owners

heya, I own a newer 3 channel triple rectifier. I'm just curious to hear/see some of your sound settings.

If you could post pictures of yours, or what sound settings you use, please do so. I'll be posting pictures of mine soon.

I was playing today and I just could not get my channel 2 to be very bright as compared to channel 3, then I read in the book why! Duh, should have looked at that sooner! It's the way the presence knobs are voiced.

Anyway, Just wanted to see some of your ideas on it, and I'll post mine here in a bit.

Thanks guys!

Re: Mesa Rectifier owners

i use modern hi gain, diode rectified, gain 10, bass 10, mid 10. treb 0, pres 0, vol very loud.

if its too bassy or does not have enough high end, then you are not playing loud enough for this amp!!!!!
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

That honestly sounds good?

Comment

I know this works for DR, but everytime I try this, I'm apparently not playing loud enough, even though the rest of the band is in agony. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

My usual settings for my 3CH Triple:

Red (Rhythm):
        Modern
        Gain 1:00 (One O'Clock)
        Treble 1:00
        Mid 8:30
        Bass 9:00
        Presence 11:00
        Master 10:00

Orange/Yellow (Lead):
        Modern
        Gain 1:30
        Treble 12:00
        Mid 9:30
        Bass 9:00
        Presence 11:00
        Master 11:00

I can't remember my clean settings - I keep messing with them. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I use the silicon diode rectifier, 6L6s, and full power. Master is usually about 10:00 or so.

These setting give me a very bright, articulate sound that really cuts through. The lead tone is still not 100% where I want it, though...

Mike
        Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

i'm telling you Mike, any amount of treb or pres will instantly muffle your sound!!!!!!!!! like a blanket (of white noise).

for the real test, have someone else play your rig, stand there with the setting just like i talked about. then try turning up the treb (from 0) notice the instant muffling effect. same with the pres. instantly blankets the sound as soon as you move either of them past 0. yes you do have to play loud with this setting, thats why i prefer the single rec, cause i do like a useable volume. but seriously, tube amps have to be driven properly to sound right.

try this and you'll understand. cut through or throw a blanket over your rig, its up to you. hehheh.

~JW
          Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

I use a Dual Recto...but the setup is basically the same with the 3 channel.

Typical combo of settings:

Gain at about 8 (depending on the axe I'm using)
            Pres at about 8 also
            Treble at 9
            Mid at 5
            Bass at 4

Now...I also use a 31 band digital EQ...so that greatly affects my final tone. Those who have heard my sound know this....but it's just an enhancement on the original (non EQ'd settings)

OH!....and Don't use the recto tubes...use the Diodes!!...the tubes give you a somewhat mushier...rounder tone, which is great for Blusier stuff...but if you're doing a lot of heavier "chunk chunk" riffs...the Diodes offer a sharper attack.

Comment

Really interesting.
              I have my Bass cranked on the amp, maybe I should try to lower all my EQ settings, so everything does not have to compete with the bass.

Comment

EQ...oh yes...The Recto sound alone is almost unbearable at low volumes in a small space (bedroom)

Comment

man the rec is meant to be played very loud!

the treb and pres sound great at lower volumes but if you want to capture the true power and glory of the rec you've got to use the setting i mentioned in my first post.

bass 10
                  mid 10
                  treb 0
                  pres 0
                  gain 10
                  modern hi gain mode
                  diode rectified

you have to play really really loud!!!!!!!!

ANY amount of treb or pres will have the opposite effect than you think it would. it sounds like you're turning the volume down and muffulling your amp at the same time!

the mid knob has more than enough treble in its range than the guitar is capable of putting out period.

Paul Reed Smith is the guy that told me these setting personally while taking about metal bands and tone.

this is not the gaytallica sound. this is not the nu-metal sound. this is the original!

~JW
                  Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

I know a guy who uses a THD Hot Plate with his recto(2 Chan dual) here and gets some crushingly heavy and articulate sounds out of his without all the mud. Still no ENGL :-p But the best I have heard a Recto do so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel:
                      man the rec is meant to be played very loud!

the treb and pres sound great at lower volumes but if you want to capture the true power and glory of the rec you've got to use the setting i mentioned in my first post.

bass 10
                      mid 10
                      treb 0
                      pres 0
                      gain 10
                      modern hi gain mode
                      diode rectified

you have to play really really loud!!!!!!!!

ANY amount of treb or pres will have the opposite effect than you think it would. it sounds like you're turning the volume down and muffulling your amp at the same time!

the mid knob has more than enough treble in its range than the guitar is capable of putting out period.

Paul Reed Smith is the guy that told me these setting personally while taking about metal bands and tone.

this is not the gaytallica sound. this is not the nu-metal sound. this is the original!

~JW
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow..and see that?!....everyone thinks you have to crush the mids to get that extreme crunch!
                      Guess that was the thing a few years back!
                      [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X