Honest opinion of Marshall JCM2000 TSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honest opinion of Marshall JCM2000 TSL

What's up with the TSL series? How are they different from DSL? I want a Marshall tube amp, but I'm on a tight budget. Are JCM2000 TSL's worth the hefty price? Are there other more cost-effective amps I should look into for "classic Marshall tube" tone?

Sorry for so many questions. I've been contemplating my new amp FOREVER now... I should just make the plunge.

Re: Honest opinion of Marshall JCM2000 TSL

Just how much money are you thinking of spending?

I REALLY wouldn't waste it on a new Marshall when there are other comparably (slightly higher)priced amps of better quality I assure you. Worth the slight increase.

Comment

The difference between the TSL series and the DSL Series, is basically in the title. Triple Super Lead and Dual Super Lead. So basically in the TSL you get one more channel and an extra set of knobs. However if you look at a DSL 501/100 you basically get 4 channels but you can only footswitch between 2. Also if you look at the DSL401 you basically get 3 channels and can footswitch through all 3. Also the DSL's are warmer in tone than the TSL's. I used to own a TSL 100 and now own a DSL 401.

If you're look'n for pure vintage Marshall the 401 will get it a lot better than any of the other JCM 2000's, if you want a new Marshall. If you dont mind going used, I'd say hunt down a vintage Marshall so you get your Vintage tone.

Comment

the DSL401 only really has 2 channels, clean and od1 are separate and have their own eq's, od2 is just od1 with a boost on top of it

i own a DL401 and love it though

David

Comment

I use a TSL122 as my main amp, which is the combo version of the TSL100 and I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Enema:
            the DSL401 only really has 2 channels, clean and od1 are separate and have their own eq's, od2 is just od1 with a boost on top of it

i own a DL401 and love it though

David
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah but since its footswitchable its like having a 3rd channel. Unlike the DSL heads where you can't footswitch between the 4 options. Plus when you think of it as a 3 channel amp its sounds cooler [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

---

To add more to my first post, it depends what guitar and pickups you have also. I forgot that I usually play with my Les Paul with some EMG's but when you play through it with a Strat with some single coils it really brings out the vintage sound of the Marshalls.

Comment

ill save u 2 g's canadian... don't buy any of the new marshalls.... i bought a dsl pretty much the same as a tsl and thought i liked the sound the more i played it the less i liked it... to my ears there is only 1 usuable setting... distorsion is busy and thin with out the deep switch, and when it is in its too bassy... I'd much rather play a single or dual rectifier than this... better money spent else where imho

Comment

I play from a TSL100 and will use all 3 channels. It's strange, I hear from a lot of people say that they really love my tone when I use one guitar over another. I'm not sure if I can expect one amp to be able to cover the tone I make over completely different guitars without have to mess with it. Would I ever trade my Marshall in for a different amp? I guess anything is possible but I'm not looking now. If I was to change, I would go rack mount whereas I can have better control of each pre/power amp.

joe...
                www.godwentpunk.com
                www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

I used to own a TSL, and the only reason I got rid of it was for a JCM800, that and I own a Mesa. Honestly I had no intent on getting rid of it.

to be honest, you came to the wrong place to ask for an amp opinion I think. It seems all people like are Engl, and Bogner, and VHT. Personally i like my Mesa better than ANY Vht i've ever played, I've only heard like 2 Engls in person, and they were nice, but not nice enough for me, and then no one really comments on Diezels (which I love! but can't fathom that kind of money on).

Anyway, play one, and if you like it, buy it.
                  Nothing wrong with one in my opinion. The DSL being warmer than the TSL? That's personal opinion.

Comment

Working...
                  X