another pick up question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another pick up question

I`m getting a 7 string guitar. What do you think would suit me the best of the followingistortion, Custom or Invader? Of course, those are Seymour Duncans.
    I play Death Metal.
    There`s been a lot of good things said about the Invader, but would it be too muddy in 7 string option?

Re: another pick up question

I never tried these pups in seven strings mode,but imho yes,they would turn too muddy bass wise.My suggestion is to go with a lower output pu or use an active pu.

Comment

Yeah, you might want to consider the EMG-707 pickups. I had a Schecter (now belongs to yabba here on the JCF) 7-string that had the EMG-707s. They have a nice heavy sound, very defined, sensitive, with great response and harmonics.

Stu

Comment

I had an Invader in a Hamer Diablo, and it had no character what so ever, toomuddy with no clarely at all. I have found I prefer the ENG 85 and Rio BBQ Bucker the best and the Gibson 500T really close. All are clear and powerfull, but also have some thick sound but not muddy!! Jack.

Comment

Hm....Originally I wanted to put an Invader 7, but seems like it will be EMG 707

Comment

I heared a lot of good things from the DiMarzio tonezone and air norton (7 string version) combination, might be worth checking out.

Harrald

Comment

I don't know, I had two Invaders in my Kelly and didn't think it was muddy at all, even in the neck position, and it did have a lot of bass and low midrange punch!! I'd guess it's probably eq'd a little bit brighter for the 7-string version so you won't get mud. Though, I am more of a DiMarzio or EMG fan anyway, but Duncans are still cool.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, that whole "muddy" thing that people a lot of the time seem to attribute directly just to the pickup, can be completely different from one setup to another. The pickup doesn't "get muddy", it just overdrives the front end of the amp in a way that they don't like. But the pickup gets all the blame. Issues like this can usually be rectified somewhat, if people are willing to nail down the true causes and work on them.

But, of course, there are the guys who'll reinstall different pickups over and over, unrealistically expecting to find the one pickup that magically makes everything perfect in their setup, rather than picking a pickup they generally like and changing their setup a little to get what they want. Different strokes, I guess...

Stu

Comment

Working...
                X