POD through Marshall JCM 800 (Long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POD through Marshall JCM 800 (Long)

Tonight I had some playing time because the wife took the kids to a party. Anyway, I've had this POD 2.0 since Christmas. I ran it through the Marshall for a few minutes when I first got it, but I didn't really pay that much attention because I was mainly just "tasting" the different sounds. Tonight was a revelation. I ran the POD inline between the guitar and amp and TADA!

......it sounded like crap.

Okay, I thought, I guess everyone was right. The POD sucks live. Then I remembered the A.I.R. switch. AHA! I switched it over to "Amp" and....it sounded like crap. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Never one to give up easily, I broke out the manual. I started running through the different 4x12 cab models. I turned the POD on while holding the "Save" button and switched the mode to a closed-back 4x12. Guess how it sounded?

Like CRAP!

I set the tone controls on the JCM 800 to flat (straight up). No real difference there. Then I stumbled onto the secret. I set the cab model to 1x8 (no, that's not a typo), upped the presence on the amp, and BINGO, there it was. THE sound (at least for me). Easily as good as any sound I've ever gotten out of this Marshall. I set it to delay/compression and adjusted each. It was sweet!

I was smart enough to hit the Save button so I can get back there, but stupid enough to not write the settings down.

Moral of the story: Anyone who says that a POD sucks through an amp is cordially invited over to my place to stand corrected!
    [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Just thought I would share!
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Re: POD through Marshall JCM 800 (Long)

That is the truth maybe bitter truth of line 6 stuff... it is all in the tweak... The stuff kills but you ahve to spend time tweaking
    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

The best results will usually be achieved by connecting the POD to the effects loop of the amp.
      This leaves the pre-amp out of the equation meaning you won't have to "fight" the EQ's but rather just let the POD take care of business.

- Rune.

Comment

Originally posted by Rune The Axeman:
        The best results will usually be achieved by connecting the POD to the effects loop of the amp.
        This leaves the pre-amp out of the equation meaning you won't have to "fight" the EQ's but rather just let the POD take care of business.

- Rune.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That was going to be my next step if I hadn't found the right combination. I still plan to try it that way, as well.

Comment

aren't you supposed to turn the cabinet emulator off when using it live?
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz:
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's where I'm still a little confused. I did turn it off, but it actually sounded better with the 1x8 setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
              The best way I've found to use cab emulation on any modeller that I've had is to IGNORE what it says and just use your ears. Those cab emulations are just EQ curves when it's all said and done, and if it sounds better to you set to 1x8, then do it! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I totally agree, Pete. The cab simulation seems somewhat accurate through headphones, but all bets are off when interacting with a real power amp and cab. The 1x8 actually sounded less midrangey than the 4x12 settings.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube:
                </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Shawn Lutz:
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's where I'm still a little confused. I did turn it off, but it actually sounded better with the 1x8 setting. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Normally you should turn off the cabinet emulator when playing through an amp, as the amp already has a speaker cabinet. The cabinet emulator is supposed to be used when you're going direct or through headphones without an amp, to "emulate" the sound of using a normal guitar amp.
                Though, like Pete said, it's best to use your ears, tweak and see what sounds best to you.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The best way I've found to use cab emulation on any modeller that I've had is to IGNORE what it says and just use your ears. Those cab emulations are just EQ curves when it's all said and done, and if it sounds better to you set to 1x8, then do it! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I've even had times where I didn't look at the setting on the amp and just dialed around to find a better tone - this way I don't get preconceived notions of what it should sound like.

Pete

Comment

I use a POD with my JCM800 2203 but I've added an effects loop. I use it to play acoustic guitar thru the amp. I love it.
                    Jerry
                    FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by JerryP:
                      I use a POD with my JCM800 2203 but I've added an effects loop. I use it to play acoustic guitar thru the amp. I love it.
                      Jerry
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm definitely going to try it through the effects loop next. I bet it'll work!

Comment

Working...
                      X