What should I do to my rig?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I do to my rig?

I have a Jackson RR1, Dunlop Crybaby, Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive, and Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble into a Marshall JCM800 4104 with 3 - 12AX7s and 2 - 6550 tubes.

The amp by itself has a great overdriven sound, however, it doesn't cut it as far as gain goes. The SD-1 doesn't really add any crunch either, just helps the sustain a bit. Is there a pedal I could add to my rig that would give me a heavier sound (Bodom, Opeth, BLS, Ozzy) without killing the amps personality? Because I love the amps personality, it just doesn't have enough gain.

Re: What should I do to my rig?

Dude Opeth doesn't have a very heavy sound. During soundcheck on Saturday I got to hear the guitars alone...they don't sound heavy at all. More mids and treble really...but when the whole band kicks in, then it makes everything sound heavy.

Comment

ok, well still, I'm looking for more gain from my rig.

Comment

what you got should be enough to do any of those tones. CoB isn't over the top with the gain either. Crank the shit out of it.

Comment

Most guys like to add EMGs or something to their guitars...maybe some EMGs in your RR1 with a preamp booster will help. Try an eq in the loop to, that will help shape things out.

Comment

Well, I do plan on swapping a Duncan Distortion in place of the JB, so that should give me a little more gain. The EQ would probably also be a good idea. Would swapping to EL34's help? Or should I just keep the 6550's? I remember looking at 6550 tubes and seeing there being a 1-10 rating on some of them, maybe I could go with a lower number?

Comment

The 4104 is a JCM900 50 watt channel switcher, yes? Thats the dreaded diode clipping model. It will respond like a tube if you slam the front end like you are, though. What are your settings on the SD-1 and on the amp?
              Switching to EL34s or different 6550s won't change the gain at the front end.

Comment

No, the 4104 is a JCM800, single channel, mines an anniversary model, white tolex. On the amp, I have pregain at 10, bass at 10, mids at 3, treble at 6, and presence at 4. On the SD1, drive and level at 3 o'clock and tone at 12 o'clock.

Comment

Whoops, sorry. I wasn't thinking combo.
                  Try diming the level on the SD-1 and setting the drive about nine o'clock.

Comment

You could try replacing the SD-1 with a Tubescreamer. I use one with my Marshall and in my opinion, it adds to the tone of my amp instead of just totally changing it.
                    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Or a Tube Screamer in Addition to Your SD-1. Try running two Overdrive pedals in a chain and see what You can achieve. I've done this and You can really get a great tone, especially with an amp like Yours.

Comment

If you can find one (they're discontinued) try a DOD Juice Box Overdrive. I love those little green pedals... DOD's version of a Tube Screamer. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] They're made to be used in front of a distorted amp and can really kick it over the top. They've got bass and treble controls besides the drive and level. The later models had normal writing under the controls instead of the stupid names like sweet, pulp, tang and juice, but they all sound the same.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

try this at very lud volumes without any of the pedals:

gain 10
                          bass 10
                          mid 10
                          treb 0
                          pres 0

this is how those amps were used back in the day. weither or not a pedal was in front.

you'll find that you'll finaly cut through loud and clear, with more than enough highs (again at a very loud volume) that aren't washed out at all.

any about of treb or pres will wash it out to the point it sounds muffled.

if its not enough for you alone, put the distorion pedal in front and boost the level full tilt. start with the gain real low and slowly move it up till you get the amount you need.

if all this doesn't work try retubing with a proper bias adjustment for KT88's or Regular EL84's (svetlana's are good).

good luck.
                          ~JW
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                          X