Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Effects for playing Death metal...need help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effects for playing Death metal...need help!!

Hello! I own a line6 pod and a esp guitar with emg pickups (gonna buy a rr1 soon!) and a crap Crate amplifier.
    What effector should i use if i want to get the death metal kind of sound like children of bodom that wont cost me thousands of dollars? i would appreciate if its simple and sounds great!!

Thanks for any advice.. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: Effects for playing Death metal...need help!!

since when is COB death metal ? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

but anyways

for all the hi gain stuff ( brutal death etc ) i would say get a sansamp gt 2 .

Cob uses less gain , so do not buy a boss mt-2 ( definitely NOT !! )

why do you want a pedal at all if you have the POD ?

Comment

Cob is NES-metal ( nintendo-metal ) with all them keyboards on the new album.

...I usualy go straight thru the amp, No fx.
      Sometimes i use a little wah for solos, but not really that offen, mainly to add some efx to some dive bombs.

Spart-xAnusx

Comment

Add a little chorus on the leads like Chuck did in Death. And an old Marshall Valvestate doesn't hurt either. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

do chorus pedals offer any sort of signal boost..like teh delay pedals seem to? (or so I've heard)

Comment

They can, but sometimes they don't. Some have level controls, while others don't. The Carvin CC2 pedal has a level control, but I've not played one of those. And my Line 6 MM4 (as well as the DD4 Delay) have mix controls to set the level. I've got an old DOD FX65 stereo chorus that doesn't have a level control, but the FX64 Ice Box Chorus that I sold to Jon Villalobos had one. The built-in chorus on my old Valvestate just has a speed and depth control, but it seems to give a slight boost even when both controls are turned down, which is extremely cool!

You could always put the pedal in the effects loop and boost the signal that way with the loop's mix control, too.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Some kind of EQ unit is probably the most important "effect" you can use to get into death-metal territory. Parametric EQs are the best, but even a graphic EQ would be a good start (and they can usually be had cheaper and more easily)--basically, it allows you to scoop the mids in a much more precise and controllable way than the built-in EQ controls on your amp. The real gearheads use separate parametric EQ both before and after the preamp stage. I've got a Furman PQ-6 parametric EQ unit on the way to me from an eBay auction--it's a two-channel EQ, meaning I can run one channel between the guitar and preamp, and the other one after the preamp.

Apart from that, I don't think of death metal guitar being really effects-heavy stuff. Usually you want a pretty dry sound, and the POD has all the effects you'd need anyway--I assume you are running it as your preamp into the effects-return on the Crates (that's what I'd do in your situation).

Comment

Pod should give you the sound you're after using the Modern Hi-Gain model.It sounds better through headphone or home stereo.If you want to get through your amp try some cool distortion pedal.

Comment

Working...
                X