Is this a tube problem....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a tube problem....?

My amp sounded really thick and full and then it went to thin and fuzzy. It does this on and off now.

The tubes have been in thereabout a year and a half, BUT up until the last 6 months weren't played on a regular basis, and now it only gets used twice a week. Is that long enough to wear out tubes?
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: Is this a tube problem....?

Typically, they should last longer. But, I've seen new and several month old tubes die. soooo...

Comment

Tubes in my JCM800 are still going strong after 14+ years. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Well one thing that has been buging me is that I know you are supposed to let your amp cool down before you atart moving it , but we opened up for soeone and we were rushed off the stage, and my amp started getting moved left and right while it was still way too hot and I don't know if maybe something could have happened there.

Another ? I have is, after your amp is Biased, does it stay set right for the tubes that are in it, or does it eventually need to be done again, even if you keep the tubes for a while?

Comment

[img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Comment

A good rule of thumb is when in doubt, re-tube. It goes along with try the simple stuff first. Tubes wear, some fast, some slow, and moving a hot head around will speed up that wear. If it were my amp and was doing what you described, I would re-tube automatically. Worst case senario is you wind up with some great spares. Not a bad thing when one goes bye-bye at a gig, trust me.

As far as bias goes, it should not change for the life of the tubes.

Comment

Thanks Chuck!

Comment

Working...
              X