Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNIQUE RACK SETUP - Help!

Originally posted by Soloist1:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
    I wouldn't consider the GCX or Patchmate to be inexpensive.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well what's a less expensive single rack mount unit that performs those functions? They are around 300 to 400 on eBay. Can't say I have seen much cheaper that can do what is being asked. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The GRX4 is $260 new (last I checked) and can be found on ebay or HC classifieds for $150-180, plus it'll work pretty easily with his current controller. I always subconsciously add the price of the used midi-controller to the GCX or Patchmate so do tend to think of them running $500-600 used for the "whole deal". Yes, they're a whole bunch cheaper than CAE, etc.

I should also note that the GRX4 isn't nearly as programmable as the GCX. (I'll stick with it as I'm not nearly as familiar with the Patchmate.) Each loop of the GCX can be wired in any order, set as a controller, set for A/B, etc. The GRX4 only has one loop that will do that, while the other 3 run in series order and are internally connected. I figure between the G Major and the Behringer footcontroller JiMoSiTY already has four midi controlled switches, and the other options don't sound necessary for he's describing.

For someone routing all kinds of pedals, rackmount units, etc. I'd definitely recommend the GCX from my experience, or possibly the new Axess full rack unit - pricey though. For example, if JiMoSiTY has any thoughts of expanding in the future, I'd recommend a more serious consideration of the GCX from my experience. (Yes, you can control it with your current controller. It'll just be more work initially.)

Comment

Does Peavey evem make that anymore? I haven't seen much info on it. If you want inexpensive rack mountable get the digital music corps GCX or the Roctron patchmate.
      We must!
      We must!
      We must increase the bust!
      The bigger the better!
      The tighter the sweater!
      The boys are counting on us!

Comment

I second the GCX, although it will not work with ALL midi controllers. I forget exactly which ones it will, I haven't read my manual for a while.

The whole system cost me 800.00 and that was for the GCX and the Ground Control Pro. Programing it is a breeze, its all done from the ground control, just sit it on the table and push buttons [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] The menus are very easy and the thing has a big bright display that you can custom name your presets.

As mentioned above, it will select between preamps, change channels on a head, punch fx in and out of the signal, and change channels on midi devices. It has a buffer that can be used or not and it changes the signal from hi to low impedance or the other way around , whichever is the more desirable , I forget [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] , but I love this thing.

There is no sound degradation either, it can actually make some rigs sound better due to the fact that it takes whatever isn't being used ,completely out of the signal path.

The way mine is set, I have two signals from it, one goes through the wha, tube screamer and phase 90 into the front end of the amp and the other runs in the FX loop of the head, and switches in and out the chorus , EQ, Delay, Flange pedals I have hooked up and the hush and BBE in and out whenever I want.

Jim,

I know what you are trying to do is a lot simpler than all that, but if you added anything to your setup later, it would be ready to do what ever you wanted to. It has 8 loops, by the way and any of those will do any of the functions listed. A few of the cheaper units I found when I was looking, only had 4 loops and only one would change channels on a head.

One more thing, Digital Music has a 5 year warranty with both of those products and I have called Skip and John there numerous times and they have always took time to help me with whatever I needed. I hope this helps you out.

Rick
        Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Patchmate works great won't effect your tone all,
          I use one. you can use it with any midi controller.Very easy to program. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
          X