Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about 5150 combos

Hey fellas,

I just have a quick question on the Peavey 5150 combos: A few months back, I called the Norwegian importer of Peavey and asked about prices for the 5150 series. I was told that they no longer import the 5150 combo because it had "quality issues", although if I wanted one they could get it. They only regularly import the Mk1 and Mk2 100W heads.

Is there any truth/substantial facts to back this statement up? I really loved the combo when I tried it years ago, but having heard the head+4x12 recently I wasn't nearly as impressed with it, so I want to try the combo again maybe go for it.

Anyway if I'm getting one I'm going for a second-hand one...

thanks for the input,

- Rune.

Re: question about 5150 combos

Could you ask him to be specific with the "quality issues". It sounds like he just wants to sell you something else, but he may have info that I haven't heard.
    I have both the combo and the block letter 5150 head and have no problems with either.

Comment

John, is there any difference between the combo and the head? I was thinking about getting the combo but was wondering if it's going to have the same distortion. Thanks in advance.

Comment

The combo and head have the same distortion. The combo has reverb and I run both through a couple of BBE422A, which in my opinion is a necessity.

Comment

How's the 5150 working for you john?? Man I wish I wouldn't have sold it. The combo rocks just like the head. It really likes the BBE to clear it up.
          I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

The combo and the head are quite different. I have a page on my site that describes the differences. The combo lead channel is more like the 5150II than the original 5150. It has less gain and is brighter. The combo overall is voiced darker.
            Jerry
            FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Hey Jerry, yeah my combo vs. head listening experience had gotten me to the conclusion that the combo was voiced differently.

Maybe I'll have to call em up one more time and ask them to be more specific about it.

Anyway the combo is 60W and the heads are 100W...so that way you are putting load on the power section of the combo earlier than the heads which is a good thing in my experience.
              My 100W Marshall SL-X half-stack needed to be at 4-5 postgain to really sound good and that is fukkin' AC/DC-loudness! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              ..just too much. Better to have less power, and drive it just a little harder to achieve the same volume levels and if you need more just mic it to PA.

- Rune.

Comment

Drsracing- It's been working great! You definitely need a BBE with either the combo or the head. I'm sorry you had to sell it, but I'm gald you had to sell it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Since I use both with BBEs I probably didn't notice if the combo was darker, since I feel they both need the BBE to help the sound no matter what. If you use a hotplate (or similar) you can drive the amp without pissing off the neighbors or family.

Comment

Working...
                X