heads that compliment the 5150 sound.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heads that compliment the 5150 sound.

alright...you guys know what I"m all about. DEATH/BLACK metal tones.

we're 3 guitars. soon to be with 2 5150 heads in the mix. probably 3. BUt before I commit to a 5150 head. I would like to know..if there are any similar priced heads that will give some seriously brutal tones...It's all about blend and balance really. with 3 guitars/keyboard/bass/vocals/drums. we'll be constantly thinking about clarity and balance between the instruments.

What amps should I tak ea serious look at? Any Carvin heads? I will be buying Used, of course. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

My favorite tones range from Nevermore/Politics sound, Darkane's tone, In Flames, Dimmu Borgir, Zyklon, Edge of Sanity, and Strapping Young Lad.

Re: heads that compliment the 5150 sound.

If you want something similar but, not identical to the 5150, check out the XXX. I'll bet those two amps would sound good side by side. Same price range used too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I'm using a Peavey Ultra Classic 120 tube head right now and love the tone of it. They are going for right around 450 on the bay. It is a 3 channel also.

Don

Comment

SLO. If you have the scratch that is.

What about a Randall RH series head. (The ones that MF is always pushing... RH100??? Is it ???Those sound good and are solid state. Very tight and crunchy.

Really affordable too.

You need to make this decision and not us though...

[ February 24, 2004, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Firebird V ]

Comment

Nothing like complimentary head(s)... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

yeah I was thinking a XXX might be good. They usually go for a bit more than the 5150's though. I'm actually...hoping to find something the same price..or less. I've given serious thought to....

Laney
            Carvin
            Crate
            Randall

nothing with that 80's butt rock sound though.
            In the end, I will probably just end up getting the 5150, it's safe that way. But I'd like to think I had some options.

Comment

How about:
              Tech 21 Trademark 300
              Tech 21 SansAmp PSA1 w/power amp
              Line 6 HD147

Comment

I"d lvoe to get a HD147....I think they're out of my price range though. how much are they going for used?

Comment

Marios from Nightrage used a Randall RH200sc (along with an ENGL) on Sweet Vengeance and also uses one live in all of the live Nightrage pics I’ve seen. The RH series stuff should be capable of getting the tone you want, and RH100s are dirt cheap new. But if you’re going to go solid state, check out the Peavey XXL too.

When I was looking for a head I also put serious thought into picking up an old Randall RG head from the 80’s because they can be had for basically a song and a dance (I’ve seen them go for as low as $80 on ebay). I decided against an RG because having never played one but it did work for Dimebag on vulgar Display of Power.

Comment

The Peavey Triple X would be my choice. Many pros including 3 Doors Down use both of them in their rigs. The 5150 is very difficult to get to blend with another guitar amp in the same band. It is designed IMHO for a 1 guitar band. I never was able to get it to blend. The sound is horrible when mixed with a Mesa double or triple. Maybe you should all use 5150's. They sound fantastic together. My buddy has a metal band and both guitars use a 5150 half stack. Their sound absolutely rips.

Comment

yeah, I will probably get a 5150 as well. 3 of them in one band will be pretty brutal.

Comment

5150's are like Chihuahua's bro... They prefer their own kind. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] It is nice and handy though to have 3 channels like the Triple X. I have a bunch of amps. One of them is a Peavey Transchorus 210 combo. It has 3 channels. It is solid state with 2 50 watt amps in stereo and 2 x 10" Blue Marvel speakers. The clean is as good as my Roland JC120. The true accutronics spring reverb and stereo chorus are outstanding. The crunch channel is VERY 5150 or XXL sounding. The lead channel has a cranked Marshall type lead tone. Peavey really makes some kick ass amps.

Comment

Originally posted by the_drip:
                          yeah, I will probably get a 5150 as well. 3 of them in one band will be pretty brutal.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">3 sounds awesome! Brand New Sin has 3 guitar players all playing 5150's.
                          Jerry
                          FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Hey Drip. It's pretty cool that you have 3 guitars. My band does too. We have a 5150, Marshall DSL100, and Crate BV120. They go well together except the 5150 sounds a little too harsh. That's because the guy using it has no ear for tone. When he's not playing, and it's just me and the guy with the Marshall, our sound is fucking incredible. The Crate and Marshall are perfectly matched. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                            X