THD yellow Jackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THD yellow Jackets

At the advice of Pete, I'm about to try these in my head to change the El34's to 84's.

I just wanted to see if anyone had tried them and has any opinions on them.

I also want to know if the regular ones will fit my DSL50, or do I need to get the short version. Thanks.
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: THD yellow Jackets

I've got a Mesa 20/20 that uses EL84s, and I then bought a VHT 2/50/2 as well, that uses EL34/6L6 tubes. After playing with the VHT for a while, I loved its high-end character and features, but it really felt lacking in other qualities compared to the Mesa. So I got a quad of the power-reducing Yellow Jackets to try. Worked like a charm--did exactly what I was hoping.

Stu

Comment

what are these yellow jackets" you are reffering to? is it an el84 tube socket that plugs into and el34 or 6l6 socket or something?

~JW
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Yea, it fixees it somehow so that there is no need to re-bias or make any adjustment at all.

Basically you just pop out the old tubes , put in the yellow jackets, and screw a ground wire in and then put in the El84's ,which the yellow jackets come with.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel:
          i think el84's are the best!
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">EL84 fan here, too!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

cool deal!

i think el84's are the best!
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I have some I use in my Marshall sometimes.

If your amp is loud with its normal tubes its still gonna be loud with the yellow jackets. Tone wise I prefered the el34s. They are cool to have around and try in different amps but arent a great device for attentuation.

Kyle G

Comment

The thing is that my amp is so loud that if it gets past 3, it is too loud in a lot of places, I just want to see if the 84's would improve the tone when I have it below 3, cause right now it sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by Rick:
                  The thing is that my amp is so loud that if it gets past 3, it is too loud in a lot of places, I just want to see if the 84's would improve the tone when I have it below 3, cause right now it sucks!
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Id say having the yellow jackets in 4 is fairly close to having the EL34s on 3. Its kinda hard to say below that because of the massive jump Marshalls have. Its usually at about 2.5 on my Marshall but I dont know what it is on yours.

Kyle G

Comment

They just might help then, cause it is right around 3 that my amp sounds good yet starts to get a bit loud.

Is it true that they require no biasing and I can put them in myself?

Comment

Yup, they come with their own EL84 tubes, even. Just remove your current tubes, plug them in the current tube sockets, and go for it.

If you are interested in being able to "crank up" higher, make sure to get the "power-reducing" Yellow Jackets. They are a different model than the standard ones, and specifically designed somehow to reduce the output. But it'll stil get plenty loud hehehe...

Stu

Comment

Working...
                      X