Rack vs. Head setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack vs. Head setups

Lately I've been considering dumping my amp head and puchasing a seperate power amp and preamp, and consolidating all my gear into one rack. I would be going with the ENGL 580 preamp and the 930/60 power amp, or the VHT 252 power amp.

My main queston is, are there are major disadvantages to this setup as opposed to a head? Or any major pros aside from being able to switch out the two units?

Re: Rack vs. Head setups

Well, since I'm a head guy converted to a rack guy, with absolutely no gripes, I'll start with some "advantages"...

(1) Flexibility. Rack setups are easy and convenient to add units to or remove units from. Current rack setup not cutting it? Add an EQ, a BBE, change that preamp--no problem! Personally, I've always found this aspect of rack gear fun and exciting, and it's helped me get closer to "perfection" for me than I know any head setup ever could.

(2) Along the same lines... Some guys are really goofy about adding anything to a head setup, for some reason. They get a head and, if it doesn't cut it, they ditch the head for another, instead of wanting to try to make that head work. They expect to find one head that does EVERYTHING, and that just doesn't cut it for a lot of us. With a rack setup, I think it's mentally easier to add units, because that's kinda the whole point hehehe. Instead of relying on one head and expecting it to nail your sound, racks are all ABOUT finding the combination of units that works perfectly for you.

(3) If you were considering adding rack gear to your head setup before, an all-rack setup will keep it all nicely together, instead of having a head AND rack to carry around if you play out.

And now for some common "disadvantages"...

(1) One downside of being able to add a ton of stuff into a rack is, after a while, they can end up very heavy. You might need 2 smaller racks instead.

(2) Rack gear and setups can get VERY complex. Just depends on what you have, really. With a simple tube preamp and power amp, no worries. But some people are intimidated by the more complex rack gear and doing the setups.

(3) Rack gear can take a lot of patience. Since, chances are you're not marrying 2 pieces of gear specifically MADE to go together (as in the preamp and power amp in a head are obviously designed to work together), the combination of units you buy might not hack it. Unless you just happen to nail your perfect combination of pieces right off the bat, rack gear can require a lot of patience, and can frustrate some.

It's definitely not something to jump into lightly. There's rack guys like me who love the rack world, and don't mind going through some of its more frustrating moments for the advantages they bring. But there are understanably many others out there for whom rack gear just isn't their cup o tea. If you are going into this thinking you will find exactly your perfect match of preamp and power amp, and those 2 pieces will be perfect for you, don't be surprised if you are disappointed. But also try to hold onto your resolve and not become discouraged. Rack gear can be very much an adventure and experiment. However, if you think that you'd be completely pissed off if you got those 2 units and they didn't do it for you, or if you really don't want to even risk the hassle of possibly dealing with multiple switch-outs of units or adding other units, you might want to reconsider your decision. Rack gear is definitely not for everyone.

Stu

Comment

and remember that no matter how good your rack gear is... the quality of your cab will have the overall most effect on the quality of you sound.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

The first reply you got is very good. I've had several rack systems over the years, simple amp head+cab systems, and combinations. I love putting together fancy rack systems and getting everything to work together. Ironicly, I've generally been happiest playing the simplest systems... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Once the rack is set up correctly, it's pretty easy to set up and tear down. The weight can easily become an issue when you add tube power amps, etc. to a heavy duty rack (what finally did in my last rack - up/down stairs and in/out of pickup by myself got to be too much). I don't know if this is any help. It's just my experience. I may go back to one someday, but for now I'm sticking with simple.

Comment

A major pro to rack systems is the relative ease of using effects and running it in stereo, if you get a stereo preamp/amp. If you don't use effects, apart from those that come before the amp (wah, distortion etc), then I don't really see that much advantage to a rack setup to offset the complexity/weight. Most rack preamps are more 'tweakable' than their head-bound cousins, but that can cut both ways, obviously, depending on whether you like to tweak a lot.

I use rack gear for my direct recording, but if I were playing live, I would probably go with a head, even if it meant forgoing stereo effects. For live use, you'd typically add those at the board, anyway, and most live gigs don't run stereo, since that creates sound problems for those audience members not sitting right in the middle of the venue.

Comment

True - about the stereo setup. Nice in the studio but not the same live. It's nice having a fancy rack setup with stereo effects and playing in practice or your house, but capturing that seperation live you need a stereo PA. Not a luxury most of us have. I run my rack mono live and have set my effects for mono. Otherwise one channel of the ping-pong delays or pitch shifting gets lost and your sound the audience hears becomes compromised and weird.

I've always liked the neatness of rack setups and the quality of sound. I don't like a bunch of pedals, wires, or changing batteries. Years ago I suffered through that with a combo amp and 3 pedals. When I got no sound I had to track it down. A real pain and embarrassing on stage. Cables get kicked, stepped on, spilled on, and I always bought the cheap multi colored ones too. I was poor and so was my setup.

If I played a head, I'd prolly go with a small rack with an effects proc. on the side, plugged into the loop. Then I'd have more stuff to lug around. Racks do get heavy but thats why you have a drummer, to help you carry stuff. He's already used to making several trips. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X