Pickup Suggestions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Suggestions...

Hey guys. I was wondering if some of you guys could help me out. I'm thinking on buying new pickups for my guitar, but I'm pretty much clueless to what I should buy. Right now I have a Duncan Dimebucker, but I'm going to sell it becouse I don't like the sound I'm getting. I'd like to get something that is really sweet for leads but sounds crushing for rhythm. I was thinking on getting EMG's (81,60). What would you guys reccomend me to get? Thanks in advance. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Pickup Suggestions...

What exactly don't you like about the Dimebucker??

Comment

I don't know...I just don't like how it sounds. It's supposed to be this "great" metal humbucker, but for me it just doesn't sound right. I'm looking for something different.

Comment

What kind of guitar are you playing, what's it made of?

Comment

It's an Ibanez RG3120. It has a mahogany body with a flamed maple top.

Comment

You probably don't like the scooped lack of midrange that the Dimebucker has. It is voiced for Pantera. I have an Ibanez USRG20TP with a alder body and a flamed maple top with a Steves Special and an Air Norton in it. It kills. Crushing chords and singing leads. It is a fantastic combo. I also have a Washburn N4 with a Lawrence L500 and a 59 Jazz in it. It also does metal and is great for leads. A Duncan Invader or a Dimarzio X2N would probably take care of your problem.

Comment

I was checking out the Duncan JB/'59 combo, the Duncan Distortion/Jazz and I wanted to try Dimarzio's. I bought the guitar used and it came with EVO's. I didn't like them either. They have too much bass. How does the Air Norton/SS sound? Do you have clips?

Comment

A pickup in a Alder body guitar will sound very different in a mahogany body. Also the fret board makes a hugh difference. I have an old guild X79-3, S,S,S I converted to S,S,H configuration it has a mahogany neck and body with an ebony fretboard. I tried many different pups in the bridge position based on the sound other players were getting from the pups in their axes. Nothing sounded good. Everything I put in it just sounded to dark. Then one day a friend gave me a Ken Armstronge to try in my RG320. I put the K.A. in the Ibanez and it sounded like total crap. Worst sound I think I ever heard in a pickup.

I told him he could have it back that it just wasn't for me. I didn't want to hurt his feelings. And his tone and mine are completely different anyway. Well he forgot to take it home with him and one day I was thinking about the Guild and said what the hell. So I stuck it in the Guild.

Plugged it in and said WOW this isn't bad. For the first time I got some good distorted tone out of the guild but still had some nice highs. It still isn't the exact pickup I want for the Guild and im in no way suggesting a Ken Armstrong. Or any kind for that matter. Just wanted to make a point that between the 2 different guitars you wouldn't believe the difference. I thought "Oh friggin great!" I expected some difference. But never that much.

Anyway my two cents.

Good luck in your search. At least pickups aren't that expensive.

Mathyus

Comment

Look into the DiMarzio X2N/Super 2 combo. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Or a Super Distortion/Super 2. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

When you give up on passive pickups do try some EMGs. 81/60 is a good combo or you can try 85/60. Lately we've been having a little uprising against 81 in the bridge
                    Good thing, I think, is that with EMGs you can use their eq circuits to shape your tone (mid boost/cut, resonant peak control, a clean boost, etc). It may be just what you're looking for. They are great pickups. Still, some love them, some hate. Read the posts about EMGs to see what people are thinking. Right now I have 85/60 combo in my sl2h.

Comment

The Duncan custom is a great pickup for metal rythms and leads.

Check it out well your shopping around.

Kyle G

Comment

APC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just put a persueder lead in an old roadstarII and it absolutly kills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have never heard a cleaner, tighter pickup that cuts through so well, while still remaining heavy and sustaining beautifully. WOW!!!!! the closest thing i could compare it to would be and emg 81 wired for 18volts and pumped up with streriods!!! cleaner, punchier, more attack, better harmonics, yet smoother at the same time.

i had to wait 2.5 months for this baby but it was well worth it.

www.adderplus.com there isn't much on the website about there pickups - but give em a call. they are real nice.

~JW
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

If i was going to go with two EMG humbuckers I'ld try the 89s (actualy are an 85 plus an SA ) and a PA2 boost.

Comment

I think I'll go with EMG's this time. I used to have EMG's on my DXMG and it sounded real good. What are the EMG Accesories I keep hearing about? What do they do?

Comment

Originally posted by It's All In My H3ad:
                              I was checking out the Duncan JB/'59 combo, the Duncan Distortion/Jazz and I wanted to try Dimarzio's. I bought the guitar used and it came with EVO's. I didn't like them either. They have too much bass. How does the Air Norton/SS sound? Do you have clips?
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i have those pu's. the ss is bascially a mid-scooped pu that - although it's a high output pu - doesn't drive your amp very much because of that lack of midrange. on the other hand, it sounds very clear and articulate - listen to dream theater then you know what i mean.
                              be warned, the ss can get somewhat harsh, so i recommend it for mahagony guitars because the warm and bassy wood kills the harshness.

the air norton is a very warm sounding pickup, i managed to get some nice jazz sounds out of it, but it really shines for fast neck pu shredding. very smooth and clear. definitely good for players that want to hear if they sound sloppy or not [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                              guitars that sound very warm don't usually work very well with the air norton because everything becomes a bit TOO warm.

the clean tones are GREAT. even the ss alone produces some usable clean tones. the real pleasure starts if you split the ss and the air norton and run the two inner coils. almost strat like clean tone. VERY dream theater sounding.
                              as stated above, the air norton is nice for jazzy tones and clean soloing.

i don't know if the ss is for you because its midscooped like the dimebucker (not as much, of course [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ), so maybe you want something with more midrange. but other than that the ss should work nice with your guitar.
                              for neck try the humbucker form hell. very bright sounding pu, not very pleasing when put into bridge position, but almost singlecoil like at neck position. i think John Petrucci used tonezone and Humbucker from hell for the first dream theater recordings, so listen to the under a glass moon solo to get an idea how it sounds (KILLER tune and solo, by the way)

greets
                              fragle

Comment

Working...
                              X