Unlimited $$$ amplifier help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlimited $$$ amplifier help

Ok, here is my question. I currently own a Fender deluxe reverb reissue, and run it through its own 12 and out to a 4x12 Fender DT412. I have tried my pedals, sound like hell. I run my Digitech GNX2 to it, sounds much better, but still not great as the 1x12 is too overbearing, and I am just not getting that chunky sound I am looking for. I tend to definitely lean towards the heavier side of things, and the Fender (no Sh*T) is not really doing it for me. I have only been playing a year and a half, but at 35, am progressing quite quicky as I get to play at least a couple of hours a nite.

I only play at home, but I have a large enough Hacienda that I dont wake up anyone at a fairly good amount of volume. I dont mean earth shaking loud, but a nice loud.

Essentially what I guess I have done as a newbie was buy an amp that doesnt do what I want it to do.

So where do I go for a head and cab?

Peavey XXL or XXX and 4X12? (Lots of people seem to dig them)

Marshall head and cab?

Randall head and cab?

Line 6 head and cab? (tried it and found it muted and muddy)

Blue voodoo head and cab? (tried one, thought it was cool, but the only one at Guitar Denter was old, dusty, and I thought I have read that the tube setup in those takes a bit of tweaking. I am not a tweaker.)

How about building a rack setup and a cab. ( I wouldnt know where to start with that)

As far as everyone saying Mesa, Bogner, Uber, I dont have anywhere to try them. I am not adverse to buying one pricewise at all, but can they sound good at reasonable levels?

I am not a rock god, just a dad with a cool wife who doesnt care if I make noise at nite cause she could sleep thru nuclear war. Money is way at the bottom of the list for me. I am sorry if that sounds pompous, I am just looking for real help and I am kind of getting dizzy.

I can still use my pedals through these, or my GNX, but when I use it through my Fender, it just sort of sounds thin. This is a very knowledgeable place, and I know I can get some very valid opinions here.

I am not just browsing, I am ready right now to get this last piece of equipment that is making that heavy sound in my head.

Any advice?

Shawn in Tampa
    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Re: Unlimited $$$ amplifier help

Shawn,

If you got the dough my vote for you would be a Marshall TSL 100 head and a 4 X 12 cab with the 25 watt greenbacks. The head has 3 channels and is 100 watts.

I have been gigging with that rig for years and other stuff that I have tried just doesn't compare.

Over the years I have owned peavey, fender and used full processed rack type rigs and I just couldn't imagine going back to that stuff.

That's my 2 cents

Comment

Try to stay away from the new marshall stuff, i made that mistake by getting a dsl 2000, and don't like it all.

I think Steve, or Dave owns a XXL and really like it. Talk to them

Comment

get either an uber or a powerball w/ matching cabs...
        these amps have the tightess low end that i've ever heard but are mad $$$.

if those are out of your $$$ range, try a line 6 vetta or hd147 but skip the line 6 cabs.
        i heard the genz benz cabs are awesome for line 6 stuff.

Comment

I'd say go wtih a Line 6 of some sort...if you absolutely MUST be able to go try the amp out first.

I reccomend Carvin too. try some of there heads/ cabs. they will ship to you an dyou get a 10 day free trial. If you think it sucks balls. Send it back to them.

Comment

Get a VHT Pitbull..then get a THD Hot Plate to bring the volume down, while still driving the tubes with reasonable power.

Comment

Line 6 HD147 and the Longboard coupled with the cabinet that you already have.

Comment

shawn, we don't have any bogner dealers or anything near us, but we do have mesa a dealer in seminole. our area is pretty much overloaded with the typical amps...not to many botique items available. while not my thing, i'd say go to express music and check out some mesa amps...a couple of blocks down the road from there is a marshall dealer (although the GC is closer for you)...if you aren't sure where to go get in touch with me and i can give you directions.

mark
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Hmmm.... If I had unlimited funds, could play loud at home, and never planned on leaving the house with my rig, I'd be checking out Gilbert's rack on the "post your gear" thread. Engl 580 + G-Major (or G-Force) + Mesa 2:90 (or VHT) power amp -> oversized Recto cab.

Me? I just got a Vetta head. If I find a band again, I'll use it with a 2x12 G-Flex.
                  This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Line 6 HD147 and the Longboard coupled with the cabinet that you already have
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">JG,

Would the Ohms be ok? Also, I assume it would be Mono and not stereo?

Thank you all for your help. I am definitely going to give the Peavey line a try this weekend.

Also going to look a little harder at Marshall. All I have ever toyed with was the Mg junk.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Shawn
                    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

get a vetta, if you got the cash... might as well.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn:

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What type of sound are you looking for???

'Heavy' is a really broad description. For example. Megadeths earlier stuff doesn't have too much gain, but in comparison Slipknot or all the nu-metal crowd use a ton of gain. sorry for being a pain but it will help! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Also a 100w watt half stack would be too loud IMO. For home use even 20w watts is too loud IMO. But its hard to find one that quiet that has good disortion. I would consider a power
                        attunetor The THD hotplae is one of the best around. Unless you prefer pre-amp distortion which a higher wattage would be better!

For high gain either Bognors/Soldanos are my favourites. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

As far as cabinets go, Avatar speakers make great ones for a fair price (any choice of speakers) Genz Benz is the obvious way to go! But the THD cab is pretty sweet. Or a tone tubby if you can find/afford one but it way be too warm for the classic heavy sound.
                        [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

BOGNER!

Comment

I would love to try Bogner, but nada here. Where do i go for pricing? It doesnt appear anyone just advertises it.

Locally I am going to try the DSL Marshall and the Peavey XXX (XXL) this weekend, and hopefully the Mesa's (Thanks Mark).

Also, what is up with all the Marshall cab's? what the hell is the difference ?

Shawn
                            Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

if i could get anysetup i wanted it would be the new mesa stilleto, and 2 mesa (traditional) 4x12's.

but if i were looking for versitility, i get a vetta and 2 mesa vertical recto 2x12's.

right now i have a .50cal (el84 ver)and a mesa 2x12 vertical recto - and love it.
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                              X