Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar noise reduction

Hey,

I need some help on choosing a guitar noise reducer, to get rid of the hissing sound when my amp is up loud.

I have found so far a Rocktron Hush Super C, but is this best for noise reduction?

I live in the UK and are finding a dealer that sells it a problem so if anyone knows anywhere in the UK that would be great! I have low budget too, but can afford the Rocktron

Let me know about any other products that do the same job!

thanks in advance guys....

Re: Guitar noise reduction

afaik the rocktron is a VERY good unit. i dont have much experience with noise gates but i never heard someone complaining about his rocktron hush.

sorry but thats all i can tell you [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

greets

Comment

I would recommend the Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor. I've tried quite a few suppressors and this one is the best hands down. Plus, I like the fact that its a stompbox rather than rack mount.

Comment

Different Roctrons do it differently. I believe the best sounding is the "guitar silencer" as it keeps the signal analog instead of A/D D/A conversion. I have used many of the HUSH units and the ones in my Intellifex and the ProQ were great, and the standalone HUSH IIC and the IIB I had are "ok".

I'm hearing the Super C is analog like the Guitar silencer but I'm not sure. I do know it is Korean made now and I'm not happy about that too much as far as build and component quality.

Comment

Hey Trooper,If you are interested I have a Rocktron hush IIcx I am not using.It is in GREAT shape.I will let it go cheap.Shoot me a e mail if you want [email protected]

Comment

I've got a HUSH Super C that I use in front of my amp to calm noise from pedals, and it works perfectly fine there. I'd expect that it would do a fine enough job at calming head hiss hehe. Cool thing is, you have both HUSH and a regular Noise Gate onboard. You can use either one or mix between them (as I do) to get the best reduction for your situation.

I've also heard nothing but good about the HUSH IIcx units. Check with parntz145 there on his. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Stu

Comment

Different Roctrons do it differently. I believe the best sounding is the "guitar silencer" as it keeps the signal analog instead of A/D D/A conversion. I have used many of the HUSH units and the ones in my Intellifex and the ProQ were great, and the standalone HUSH IIC and the IIB I had are "ok".

I'm hearing the Super C is analog like the Guitar silencer but I'm not sure. I do know it is Korean made now and I'm not happy about that too much as far as build and component quality.

Comment

i think that stuff like THIS is the only ture guitar noise reduction system.

along with a good pickup, and quality wiring job.

all these hush boxes are a complete waiste of time.

all of my noise problems have been solved by proper settings and good cables.

JMO
                ~JW
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

If you are going with rack gear the Rocktron hush is the best out there.It doesnt kill you signal when you dont want it to and it doesnt alter your tone.When I had a head I used the boss ns2 and it was also a great unit.But like I said if you are going rack get the rocktron,if you use pedals get the Boss.Hope this helps you out.Paul

Comment

I'm using Rocktron guitar silencers, they work great. Their a must with a high gain rig. The GS differs from the other hush units because it has gate controls.

Comment

First off, I agree with Dreamland_Rebel; you have to start at the source. Your guitar should be properly shielded. You should use high quality cables, and you should make sure you're getting clean electrical power.

I started the noise reduction quest in the mid 80's. I tried all sorts of gates & suppressors, from low end to the real pricey stuff. I found that even the best conventional gates would chirp & chatter unless you set them for one gain level & leave them alone. Then I found the Rocktron Hush stuff, & I played 3-4 different models of those. No chirping & chattering, but they absolutely destroyed my high end. I totally hated 'em. To be fair, I haven't played anything Rocktron has built in about 10 years... I have to hope they've improved the Hush units. After that, I discovered the Boss NS-50 half rack unit. Voila. No gate chatter, & my tone was, for the most part, left intact - adds *just a touch* of mids to your signal, nothing obnoxious though, & most of all, your high end is not attenuated all to hell. Extreme setting of the threshold control will attenuate your output volume, but if you have to set the threshold that high, the room was probably wired during Calvin Cooledge's Presidency... And as with any high speed envelope-type suppressor, you have to work a little harder to get sustain. But a small price to pay, given that the alternative can be 60 cycle hum from hell. There's an NS-50 for 150 clams here, near the bottom of the page:

http://www.noteworks.com/usedgear/urackgear.html

I quit playing high gain amps quite some time ago, & then started getting my noise from dirtboxes, OD's, fuzz, & stuff, & no longer needed to tame the amp. Enter the Boss NS-2 pedal. Perfect. Same deal as the half rack unit, in a pedal. And it has a loop, meaning you can insert only the noisemakers, & leave chorus, delay, etc. out of the loop, which allows them to breathe more. I've been gigging this pedal 6-7 years now, wouldn't leave home without it. But I'm not sure how you could quieten an amp with it - it only affects what's inserted into its loop.

Anyway, the Boss stuff is the only noise reduction gear I haven't totally hated.

Comment

Working...
                      X