Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: acoustic simulator pedals

Originally posted by AlexL:
    Someone posted a vid clip here of some guy playing acoustic guitar with lots of slapping and tapping - totally Hedges influenced.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That was this thread

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/...;f=17;t=003145
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I found the Boss AC-2 is best used with a single coil or a pair of single coil pickups and run directly into the PA. It has a pretty nice feature that acts like an A/B box. With the pedal on it runs the signal out through its effected output, but there is a second output that runs an uneffected signal to the rest of your rig. If I am going to be using my AC-2, I usually run it straight to a board and play either my Jackson or my Sambora Strat on the in between position of the neck and middle single coils. This gives me the best possible sound out of the AC-2 and allows me to switch quickly back to my lead sounds.

Comment

That guitar stand is made by Gracie Stands. Around 100 or 150. I used to use one of those Dean Markley slide in pups for acoustic but the sound blew. Then I miked an acoustic and the feedback became an issue. Finally I used an Acoustic/electric and went direct and I loved the punchy electrified acoustic sound.
        Petrucci has piezo systems in his electrics. For convenience and a truly nice clean acoustic tone, have a piezo installed on your electric or picj up a Fly or JPM Music Man. I've heard some good things about the acoustic sim pedals. They're certainly worth a try.
        Currently, I don't play an acoustic live. For those type of songs, I have a preset in my G-Force and Triaxis that gets as close as I can possibly get to an acoustic without buying a pedal. Not too bad but not perfect.
        Tom

Comment

The main advantage of having a pedal rather than a piezo or a real acoustic is that you can use it with ALL your guitars
          and play straight through material like the Opeth Drip described. It may not be a perfect simulation, especially to those who are real acoustic devotees, but to an electric guitarist who needs acoustic sounding effects interspersed in electric
          rock or metal, it's a good option. Live is more forgiving than studio and most rock and metal bands have that direct recorded compressed and chorused acoustic sound that a pedal does fairly well. We aren't talking about a Taylor with a $2,000 microphone here.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
            Hmmm, but what about singing? You obviously can't plug in a vocalist's voice box, so how come there's no feedback?
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Because the singer can shut his mouth when he's not singing! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Seriously though, feedback becomes a problem because it continues to loop. A singer
            breaks that loop by singing and closing his/her mouth when not singing. Also, the singer's mouth isn't as wide as an open soundhole, and the singer's resonance chamber is not directly behind his/her "soundhole" as is the case with an acoustic guitar. Especially with rock and metal bands, the ambient sound from guitar, bass,keys and drums will find their way into an acoustic guitar's mic as well.

The plugged-in sound may not be nearly as good, but it's infinitely more mixable for the soundman's purposes.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

If my memory serves me well, Yamaha used to make a nice accustic simulator. I can't remember its exact name right now, bur I do remember that it was like a small effects processor, but commited to accustic simulation only. I remember reading some good opinions on it. Maybe try to find some info on this one, second hand they shouldn't be too costy

Comment

Working...
              X