Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson USA Series SL2H Pickups vs EMG 81's

Hi, [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Can anyone discribed what sort of sound I will be getting out the pickups from this baby once it arrives? I play through a Marshall AVT275

At the moment I have another guitar with
    2 X EMG 81's, I was thinking is there any point in swapping them into my SL2H, what will be the difference in sound compared with the Seymour Duncan JB TB4 Humbucker + Seymour Duncan ‘59 SH1N Humbucker in the SL2H against the sound of my 2 X EMG 81's.

Let me know guys! I cant decide, suppose its best to wait untill i get it and see! but in the mean time I can get some advice!

Thanks for any info!

Re: Jackson USA Series SL2H Pickups vs EMG 81\'s

I've got an SL2H with the Duncans and love 'em. I also have a model 2 with the EMG 81. The EMG is hotter but the Duncans seem to respond more to picking style, etc. Depending on your style of music the Duncans will handle most anything where the EMG seems more on the "metal" side in my opinion. Why not buy a second SL2 and have both combinations! (yeah, if money only grew on trees...) [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

hehehe if only it did!!!!

Comment

Hey dreamlandrebel,

I'm waiting for my SL2H, probably won't have until June or so, and I'm thinking that if I don't like the stock SD pups in that baby, then I'm getting a set of APC's.
        I already have EMG 85/81 in my RG, so I don't feel I need to repeat the exercise on all future guitars.
        What did you have to pay for a set of persuaders?
        Are they compatible with the Jackson vol/tone pots?

- Rune.

Comment

Most of my guitars are setup with some combo of EMG's,but when I got my SL2H I loved the Duncans,I am not changing them.Play with it for a while and see,I'll bet you'll love them.They are responsive and have warmth.

Comment

you'd be better off with APC pickups than anything else.

~JW
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Hey, now that i see the word APC i remembered something [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

I dreamt i was playing a guitar with great pickups in it and a dude said they were APC's... Weird yes, odd dream haha [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

How will it sound with EMG 81s? About the same as a 2x4 with EMG 81s.

Seriously, EMGs have very little dependence on the actual guitar other than to hold the strings in place - whether it's a basswood Ibanez or a solid mahogany Explorer or a kitchen table, it's going to sound the same, especially through a high-gain amp. Yes, the 81 has higher output than the 85 or 89, but that's the extent of the tonal characteristics of EMGs - they are low-powered pickups with a built-in preamp. Rip the preamp of an 81 out and stick it in an 89 and guess what? You've got an 81 with coil-splitting.

Move the JB to the neck and put a Distortion in the bridge - much more balls, punch, kick, and bite than an EMG will give.

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                X