fx loop question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fx loop question

I know this is a beginner's question, but I want to know the difference between using effects pedals through the fx loop and/or running the pedals in front of the ampiflier into the input. When I tried it through the fx loop using my muliteffects pedal i don't really hear any difference in sound as opposed to running it in front of the amp, i don't know, maybe my amp is crappy. Which is the best solution when using multieffects pedals with a solid state amplifier, i have a marshall mg 50dfx btw.

cheers

Re: fx loop question

I run my GT-6 in my Marshall FX loop, but, all my effects are time based. I don't use any gained fx. All my gain is from my preamp.

guitar->bbe->Peq->HEAD

fx loop out->GT6->fx loop in

I'll use my FX loop bypass when I don't need any fx.

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

sounds like the way to go, punk
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

That would seem the way to go as long as the overdrive/distortions in the multi-fx pedal are completely bypassable. If not, it will tend to induce some signal loss and perhaps muddy up the sound of your normal preamp from the amp.
        Also, gain-based effects like OD/distortion pedals sound crappy in the loop, that's why everybody using a single pedal puts it in front of the amp.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

OD in the loop do suck! I almost decided to take my GT-6 out of the FX loop due to that. The problem is that the GT-6 does not have a bypass [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] so the solution was to create a blank patch and use it. However, the blank patch sounded like crap so it am setup the way I am. A little non-conventional, however, what's sounds the best is all the matters...right?

joe...
          www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

fx loop is post preamp as opposed to runing it in the front end being before the preamp.

basic rule of thum. gain based effects work best in front while time based effects work best in the loop.

as far as multi pedals, since you are probably using the preamp and gain on the pedal i would put it in the front end.

~JW
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Yep, as long as it sounds good to you, that's all that matters!

I had the same problem with my DOD GS30 floor modelling processor. It sounds great in front of the amp, but I decided I liked my amp's distortion a little better and just wanted to use the DOD's effects. You can turn the amp models off, but it doesn't completely bypass either way in front of the amp or in the loop.

The only gain-based effect that will sound okay in the loop, IMO, is a wah pedal. Even that doesn't sound that great to me, and I still prefer it in front of the amp, but some people have done it that way with good results. It's basically the same as putting a wah after a distortion pedal, but I find it more pronounced to put the wah first in the chain and then the distortion after.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] I think I have it...

A box to send signal to channal A or B. ChA has FX unit, channel B none. A second box that takes signal from A and B bringing them to 1 signal and that feeds to amp. So, you want effect, select channel A...no effects...select channel B.

joe...

[ March 03, 2004, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: GodWentPUNK ]
                www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

Lesson #349 taught to me from JCFrs in the books. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Thanx guys! I love this place! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

nevertheless, this is a pretty old thread from a while back...

Comment

Originally posted by mhalsey:
                      Well, I'm still pretty new to the forum so I've been reading a lot of past threads. Just wanted to express my appreciation to other members. I don't see any harm in that but obviously you do. I sincerely apologize if your precious time was wasted reading my post. Next time, don't bother! K?
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">oh no, that's not what i meant. I wasn't annoyed at all, I was just saying that it was an old thread i started awhile back, you can dig up any old thread you feel like.

Comment

Well, I'm still pretty new to the forum so I've been reading a lot of past threads. Just wanted to express my appreciation to other members. I don't see any harm in that but obviously you do. I sincerely apologize if your precious time was wasted reading my post. Next time, don't bother! K?

Comment

Oh, OK man. Sorry for taking it the wrong way. Words on a screen are not the same as talking to someone in person. You can't hear the tone in their voice. I'm glad the old threads are out there, though. Keeps me from having to start a new thread asking a redundant question. I'm going to get a couple of stompboxes and was wondering whether to run them through the parallel FX loop or up front. This thread answered my question perfectly. Once again, sorry. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

that's what forums are for, answering your questions. Btw, which stompboxes are you getting??

cheers

Comment

My friend used to have a Metal Master. It sounded pretty good. BTW, are you getting two Jacksons?

Comment

Working...
                              X