Hot Rod 50 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rod 50 Questions

I just scored a Hot Rod 50 off of Ebay, and I'm having problems. First, when the amp is on, standby on, no guitar plugged in, it's making noises. Popping, hissing, and squealing noises. If I gently tap on the pre-amp tubes, it makes a horrible noise through the amp. Also, if I even touch the plate, that the tubes are in, it makes noise. I'm guessing tubes? If so, should I replace 'em all, and where's a good place to get 'em?

Secondly, what would the baseline settings be on this amp, the guy sent it to me with everything zeroed.

Oh yeah, which tubes do I buy for this thing?

Re: Hot Rod 50 Questions

Try changing the preamp tubes and see what happens. I like the EH, Chinese, or JJ 12AX7's. If the tubes don't take care of it I'd take it to a tech. If it were mine I'd throw a set of JJ 6L6's in it too, have it biased, have it checked over, and a good cleaning of the pots and jacks.
    Jerry
    FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

+1 for Doug.
      Doug does a great job of testing his tubes and his service is second to none.
      Jerry
      FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

www.dougstubes.com is a cheap place for good newer tubes. I've bought from him before with good results. Plus you can specify high gain preamp tubes if you want...

Pete

Comment

No re-bias, just for pre-amp tubes, right? I moved 'em around (pre-amp tubes) in their holders, and it cured about 90% of my problems. I'll try Doug, and get this thing sounding like it should.

Comment

Working...
          X