Tech 21 sansamp GT2 or tri AC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech 21 sansamp GT2 or tri AC?

Im planning to buy one of these... anyone know about them? each of their characteristics?

which one should I get?

Re: Tech 21 sansamp GT2 or tri AC?

Basically, they're very similar but the Tri AC is more flexible live... I use the Trademark 10 as my main practice-at-home amp, and I owned a GT2 prior to it - the tones are (imho) great, and the build quality on Tech21 stuff is excellent. If you're looking for a new pedal for your board, you'll probably want to go with the Tri AC, but if you just want something to tweak good tones out of for home recording or practice, grab a GT2 - either way, you won't be disappointed...

Comment

I've had a Tri-AC for awhile, and I love it!! It can be used either in the effects loop (so you bypass your amp's preamp and only rely on the pedal for shaping your sound) or use in front of the amp. I usually use it in front of the amp, and it's true bypass so I can change to my two normal amp channels besides the three pedal channels. It gives you Fender, Marshall and Mesa/Boogie sounds. Since it's programmable, you can get three different clean sounds, three distortion sounds, whatever you wish. If you need more gain, just stick any normal overdrive pedal in front of it to give you a boost. And it's a great direct pedal, so you don't even need to bring an amp to a gig... just hook it up to a PA mixing board and you're good to go. Also great if your amp craps out. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

thanks for the info guys,
        so what about sound quality wise? any distinctions between GT2 and tri ac?

I've read a review saying that GT2 is more "rectified" and more 80's sounding, heavier, compareted to tri ac, which is more 70's and not as heavy?

is that true? hearing the sound samples on tech 21's site.. it appears that GT2 does sound better and I like it more. I just suspect that they sacrificed the sound for functionality in the tri ac...

anyone to confirm these? or do they pretty much sound the same?

Toejam :: I read one of ur posts and u said u took lessons from michael romeo in the 80's? is that true? romeo is my hero!,how did that come about??

Comment

I don't know about the GT2 compared to the Tri-AC, as I've never tried the GT2, but the Tri-AC's Marshall setting is like an old Plexi (I don't have the manual in front of me, so I don't remember) and it's also got the same kind of bright sound characteristics of the Marshall at lower gain volumes... turn the gain past noon and it gets a little thicker and warmer sounding. The Mesa sound is close to a Recto, but could still use a little more gain, IMO.

And, yes, I did take lessons from Romeo in the '80s. We both lived in the same town, South Amboy, NJ. It had to be like '86 (I was 14) and I got my first guitar, went to a local guitar shop that was like 2 blocks away from my house. I went in to inquire about lessons, Mike told me that the chick who owned the store was a ***** and not to waste my money on her, that he would give me lessons at my house or his house, so that's how that worked out. Sometimes he would come over, other times I would go over his house. I took lessons from him for like a year or so, then I didn't see him much after that because he was involved more in his old band, Phantom's Opera. He's a very cool guy!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks a lot for ur input guys, I've already purchased the tri AC off ebay. Now I just have to wait for that and my KE3 eerie dess to arrive.........

Man toejam that's amazing. In my opinion Romeo is one of if not the best guitarist in the world, and Symphony X is just simply amazing and my favorite...

damn.. I'd literally kiss his foot to get a lesson from him [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] .....

but anyway a side note.. do u know how he does his tappings so cleanly? I always make unwanted noise when I lift my fingers off (when I finish the last note on a particular string and move on to another string)... does he mute it with his right hand or something?

Comment

Working...
            X