Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a volume pedal in effects loop instead of an attenuator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a volume pedal in effects loop instead of an attenuator?

Just wondering if this is good for an amp. Most tube amps sound better cranked, but they get awfully loud, so a lot of people resort to power attenuators to help this problem. Though, when putting a volume pedal in the amp's effects loop, you can effectively turn the amp's volume up louder and use the pedal to keep the overall volume lower, protect your hearing, and prevent the neighbors from being pissed and having the cops show up. Any pros or cons to this volume pedal idea?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Using a volume pedal in effects loop instead of an attenuator?

It won't really make a difference. You aren't really working the power tubes any harder - just limiting what they get from the preamp. A power soak/hotplate works because it comes *after* the power tubes/output transformer. Otherwise, all you're doing is putting another master volume in there. There's a guy selling these little radio shack boxes that go in fx loops just like what you're saying - I think the whole idea is bogus.

Pete

Comment

Thanks, Pete. Makes sense. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
        It won't really make a difference. You aren't really working the power tubes any harder - just limiting what they get from the preamp. A power soak/hotplate works because it comes *after* the power tubes/output transformer. Otherwise, all you're doing is putting another master volume in there. There's a guy selling these little radio shack boxes that go in fx loops just like what you're saying - I think the whole idea is bogus.

Pete
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Did you see how many of those damn things he sold!
        Jerry
        FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Working...
        X