Please recommend an amp for practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please recommend an amp for practice

I live in an apartment w/ my parents and lots of neighbeors around, so I simply can't "crank it all the way up" when practicing, and for a guitar like KV2, I know it's a damn shame. So is there any amp built for this purpose (simply practicing)/ situation (neighbor problem) that has a hot lead sound for shredding?

Re: Please recommend an amp for practice

Pick up a used POD off E-Bay and a set of computer speakers [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Cheap, versatile, and you won't get evicted [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Agreed, only try the POD with a few pairs of inexpensive powered studio monitors. While there may be some decent computer speakers out there, they tend to be pretty bad.
      This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Thanks. Will do! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Zoom 7010. It has a built in 10watt amp and a flip up high performance speaker.

Comment

I'd go for a POD v2.0 + if you can afford it, the Alesis M1 Active Mk2 monitors.

This way you can easily take the step to computer recording when/if you want and the Alesis monitors are the best value out there.

- Rune.

Comment

POD 2 + headphones

Comment

What kind of computer speaker should I get then?

Comment

POD or Roland Cube 15...

Comment

I use a Pod XT Pro, Vox Valvetronix (for cleaner sounds) or a Tech 21 combo. Any of those is solid for low volume playing. If you have to have a tube amp, the Peters JP-10 and Carr Mercury are both very capable at low volumes, but that will depend on the tone you're after and just how quiet you really need to get.

Comment

I just sold a Marshall AVT20 which was very good, but just too loud for my bedroom. I am getting ready to purchase a Tech 21 Trademark 10. I can't find one bad review about this amp, although I heard the reverb unit is a little cheap.
                      I also just bought the new Digitech RP80. It has an expression pedal and everything for only $79!
                      Brian

Comment

for practise at home i use my jcm900 1x12 combo:
                        gain,bass,treb,presence on 10 mids on 0 and the
                        master on 0.5 to 1, thats what the neighbours can take..
                        i think the sound is quite ok for practise, of course the jcm900 live is a shit in my eyes, compared to my ENGL or Randall
                        greetz andy

Comment

The Pod,Podxt and V-amp are all great home practice amp choices. My Xt with headphones sounds so amazing.I spend many hours finding great tones and never a noise complaint.

Ric

Comment

I always liked the J-Station better than the POD. You can pick one up new for under a $100, and they do sound awesome. I use a J-Station and a pair of headphones for practice.

Comment

You can try Korg Pandora PX4 with headphones or your regular stereo. Apart from array of effects, you get a drum machine, so it's more fun to practise. It may be a bit more costy, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X