Comparing speaker sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing speaker sizes

Most guitar players use 12" speakers in their amps, but I've seen people using 10" or even 15" speakers, or some combination of them together. What sound characteristics do each hold and how do they affect the sound?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Comparing speaker sizes

I used to use a ported 15 plus the two 12s in my amp live...I could never get it to work any good. The bass player and drummer would eat up all the frequencies that the 15 put out and the crappy 12s would sound tinny and bad. Stick with a 4x12, thats what I'm using now and I couldn't be happier.

Comment

mh....i'll put it in short words:

10" speaker: fast attack, lots of high end. used for country or funk usually

12" speaker: you all know them...

15" speaker: warm, used for jazz or blues usually. sometimes used together with a 412 cabinet, then it acts as a subwoofer. have not tried it out yet...

ah, i almost forgot that: even though there are some strange 6*8" cabinets (supro i think) 8" speakers are usually used for cheap practice amps...

greets
      fragle

Comment

Cool. Thanks, guys! I've been thinking of getting an extention cabinet for my Mesa F-30 1x12 combo, debating what size I should get. I don't really need a 4x12, I was thinking maybe either a 1x12 or 2x12, but Mesa has a cool 4x10 that looks interesting. The 4x10 may brighten things up a little for the inherently darker Mesa sound. Then again, years ago someone had given me a Peavey 1x15 bass combo that I used to use in conjunction with my first Gorilla amp that had either an 8" or 10" speaker (I used a distortion and stereo chorus pedal for both amps at the same time), the 15" helped to thicken the sound and provide the lower end the cheap Gorilla lacked. If I went with a 15" now, I'd probably have to add some more treble. I'm just thinking of all the possiblities and what would be best for my sound.

Comment

This may be thinking in more general terms and not just guitars, but in my opinion the enclosure design, electronics, and the speaker design have more to do with the sound and frequency range than the size of the speaker alone.
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

10 " - high end exposed , rather not "guitar frequencies" friendly speaker , used alot in bass cabs .

12 " mids , so more in guitar cabs

15 " low end , not so much high end ( that's why bassplayers always buy a 4x10 first and then a 1x15/1x18 to make the low end bigger )

Comment

Skarhead, that's exactly the misconception I was talking about. Everyone seems to think that the smaller the speaker, the more "high end" the sound will be and the larger speaker will always have more bass. It's simply not true. A 12" speaker isn't any more suitable for mid-renge tones than a 8", 10" or 15".
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Thanks. I guess I'll have to try a few out and see what sounds best.

Comment

mm2002 - okay sorry for that , i was really thinking that way , almost any bassist i know thinks that way too .

Comment

If the size of the speaker mattered to the sound or the frequency response explain the Bose Acoustimas Speakers. They are only 4" square and have amaizing sound. I believe the frequency ranges are 18-22k hz. Well below and above the normal human hearing range. I know than how do we kow for sure they go there? Osciliscopes are a wonderful thing. The frequ. range is relative to how the speaker is designed and how the voice coil is designed. A 4x10 cab will throw more air than a 1x15 and will respond faster than a 15 too. They do tend to be a bit cripser but thats more of a way we here the sound coming off of the 4 speakers and how quickly the respond as opposed to the 15" I've actualy heard 4x10 cabs that have more bottom end than a 1x15. Also the size of the cabinet makes a bit of difference too.
                    Gil

Comment

not to forget the conception of the cab: closed back produces way more bass than an open back cab. mh....maybe a 4*10 closed back cab? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

but, beside the sonic differnces, theres one more point to mention: its easier to lift a 4*10 cab than a 4*12 cab....i'm not sure if there are any 4*15 cabs....

greets
                      fragle

Comment

It's slightly off topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread for this. Having options of 8 or 16 ohm Celestion Vintage 30, which would be more versatile considering most common amps?

Comment

always remember that the amount of "attack" your sound has is very pertinent to the amount of power available to drive the speakers...larger speakers need more power to control their drivers.

this simply means that you can have a great amount of attack using 12" or larger, just make sure your poweramps are up to the task.

- Rune.

Comment

Rune, since you mentioned it, what would be the minimum amp power to successfuly drive 1x10, 1x12, and 1x15? How would that apply to multiple-speaker enclosures?

Comment

I don't have any exact numbers to give you, it is anyway too dependent on each speaker model's input impedance and sensitivity value. Sensitivity is a value measured in desibel, I don't know what's normal for guitar speakers but for home speakers a common value would be for instance 90 dB. I think most guitar speakers have 8 Ohm impedance.

If I recall correctly, the sensitivity is measured by feeding the speaker 1 Watt of power and then measuring the SPL in front of the speaker at a distance of 1 meter (about 3 ft.)

This gives an indication if the speaker will be "light-driven", or if it needs more juice to get going. You shouldn't drive yourself blind on reading the amp manufacturer's claimed power output levels though(they tend to tweak facts to make things look good in the brochure), it is just as important that the amp has a solid (heavy) power supply, this makes it more capable of dealing with low frequency notes when it's under load.
                              (think heavy drop-D palm muted riffing, or your sister's new R&B record [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )
                              Easy way of checking this out is just by lifting the amp and feeling it out for weight.

generally speaking, people too often have too little power to back up their speakers which results in crappy sound or not exploiting your speakers' sonic capabilities to the fullest.

however, just remember that if you have a huge poweramp connected to a modest speaker, turning it up too loud will most definitely damage the speaker. (blown driver)

good luck,

- Rune.

Comment

Working...
                              X