Comparing speaker sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Comparing speaker sizes

Thanks for the explanation. One more question. What is better: a speaker with more resistance than the amp is designed for or the speaker with less resistance than the amp? I know ideally it should match, but I'm talking about the situation when it's not possible.

Comment

Your asking if I wanna walk on shattered glass or burning coals? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Seriously though, if I had to choose I'd say speakers with lower impedance.
      But again, use common sense when experimenting with these things.

- Rune.

Comment

Thanx Rune. I may be getting a Cellestion Vintage 30 some time soon, but I still don't have an amp for it. I guess most amps are either 8 or 4 ohms, so I'd be better off going with an 8 ohm one.

Comment

It is my understanding that you never go lower on impedance than the amp is rated for. as that will cause the amp to overheat. The speaker impedance is the load on the amp. Lower resistance equals higher current. Higher current heats things up.
          Matching is the best answer here of course, but you can go higher. Higher impedance speakers will lower your output of course.

Mathyus

Comment

OK, that explains it to me. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
            X