Digitech GSP2101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digitech GSP2101

Someone just gave me one of these and I have afew ?'s about it.

1. Can I use this thing in the FX loop of my amp and use it strictly as an FX processor without adding a bunch of noise or sucking my tone? It's a preamp but you can turn off all the distortion and stuff.

2. It has a Ducker. What the Hell is that [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ?

3.How do I set this thing so that , for example when I step on my ground control pedal that my GCX switches this thing in the loop and makes it change to program 1, and then hit another button on the midi pedal and make it go to program 10 etc.?
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: Digitech GSP2101

I used to own one of these. Very powerful piece of gear, though I don't care for the preamp part of it that much anymore. Here are my answers to your questions:

Question 1: Yes, you can do that.
    (a) Put a cable from the FX send of your amplifier into one of the FX returns of the 2101. This will patch the signal into the 2101's signal chain immediately after the preamp section, but before the effects. The great thing about this is that you can still use the 2101's noise gate, which is located in the effects section. However, if you have an early version of the 2101 software (version 1.xx) in your machine, you will have to use a "Y-chord" (unbalanced 1/4" on one end splitting off to two separate unbalanced 1/4" plugs on the other end) and plug into both channels of the 2101's FX return--because the early version can't do a stereo signal correctly if you don't do this. On later versions (version 2.xx), plug into the left FX return.

(b) plug a cable from the left 1/4" output on the 2101 into the FX return on your amp, or use both 2101 outputs if you have a stereo FX return on your amp. Frankly, most of the effects on the 2101 are in stereo, and won't sound very good if your amp doesn't have a stereo effects loop.

Question 2. A ducker is a weird form of reverb effect. I'm not entirely sure about it, but play around and see what you think. Not something you'd use all the time, but more of a "special effect".

Question 3. You have to hook the 2101 into the midi chain of your preamp and pedal--it's not that difficult, but I'm no expert. I never did much MIDI stuff with the 2101. Most importantly, make sure that all devices are using the same MIDI channel. Probably, you would go Pedal --> MIDI In on Amplifier, MIDI out/thru on amplifier --> MIDI In on 2101. But that's just a guess. That's what equipment manuals are for... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I had a 2101 for a few years and Profusion is right; a very good processor. I switched to a TC Electronic G-Force BECAUSE the 2101 has a preamp and it never sounded right when I ran it with my Triaxis. The preamp section is always functioning even if you don't really use it. It ended up adding a lot of noise to my signal chain.
      A ducker works as follows: A ducked delay will not add delay while you are playing. As soon as your phrase of notes ends, the delays will start. So you can play a fast run and there will be no delay happening until the last note, at which point you'll actually get the echo of that note or last couple of notes. This helps by making the notes you are playing sound cleaner without a bunch of undertones and echos. It's common to want that element of delay at the end of a solo or scalar run so the delay starts right at the end. If it's a ducked reverb, the same priciple: The reverb doesn't start until the end of a sound signal. Does that make sense?
      The pitch altering capabilities of the 2101 are excellent as are the modulation effects, IMO.
      I love my G-Force though...best guitar processor around except for perhaps the Eventide stuff.
      Tom

Comment

My buddy uses a 2101 into a Mosvalve 962
        into 2 Peavey 412 cabs and really gets a monster rock sound. Not quite into extreme metal terroritory, but superb clean, crunch and lead tones. Obviously
        there's better gear out there, but it gets a pretty awesome sound for which he's always getting complimented, and with 2 direct cab-voiced outs he doesn't have to mic his cabs and his signal is so usable to sound techs that they love him!
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I played around with it a bit into a small Peavy practice amp and noticed 2 things. It added a lot of noise and it sounded like crap!

I will try running it through my Marshall next week at practice, but there is one more thing I would like to know.

When you change programs on it, there is a second or two of no sound. If I run it in my amp FX loop, will the sound of my amp drop out also, or will there just be a short delay of the actuall FX of the GSP switching in?
          Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Dropout was the biggest complaint about those units. The following versions included two processors to reduce the dropout.
            The thing to remember is that those units were initially designed as studio processors, where you really wouldn't change patches, maybe add or remove one effect in a track, then change to another patch for the next track; in a live setting, they can be a problem.

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

During a brief period when I used my 2101 as an effects-only processor (by using the 2101 FX returns as the input, rather than the guitar input), I never had any problems with noise or crappy sound. The 2101 has an awesome noise gate that should take care of any noise problems you might have. But you wouldn't want to plug the FX send on your amp into the guitar input of the 2101--you would get a crappy sound that way.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
                During a brief period when I used my 2101 as an effects-only processor (by using the 2101 FX returns as the input, rather than the guitar input), I never had any problems with noise or crappy sound. The 2101 has an awesome noise gate that should take care of any noise problems you might have. But you wouldn't want to plug the FX send on your amp into the guitar input of the 2101--you would get a crappy sound that way.
                Could you maybe specify the way you connected it all?
                I have a GSP 2101 artist. I also have a Carvin Legacy amp head. I was trying to connect the 2101 as an effects-only processor like you first suggested (send from amp-->return 2101, left out 2101-->return from amp) but this seriously messes up te original Legacy signal.
                What I'd really like is to just bypass the preamp of the 2101 completely so it doesn't effect the Legacy's signal at all.

Comment

Also, check the "global eq" as someone may have messed with it before and forgot it is there. I've had my 2101 since it came out. Replaced firmware chips to reduce lag times and fix things wrong in first gen versions. I also never used it with a head as an effects unit... it was always my preamp. Now I have a new Peavey XXX head and I need to try and see if I can salvage some effects presets. I definitely don't want to use the 2101 front half, but I can kill off the individual effects and see how it works. Good luck with yours!
                  http://www.wulffson.com

Comment

I've put all EQ's (including the global one) to 0db.
                    I\ve connected the GSP2101 to the Legacy as said in the Legacy's manual: input 2101-->send Legacy, output 2101-->return Legacy.

The sound is generally pretty ok but especially lower notes (like when you play a scale) on the E and A string sound very different and buzzy compared when you get the GSP out of the loop.

Comment

Working...
                    X