X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framus Dragon & Cobra Tops

Anyone play them or tried them?

Re: Framus Dragon & Cobra Tops

I have a Framus Cobra head and 4x12 cab. AMAZING. Ultra high gain. 3 channel. What I wished a Recto sounded like.

I posted this review on another forum:

This is a 3 channel all tube head (12AX7s, EL34s) with a matching 4x12 straight cab with Celestion Vintage 25s. The cab can be split in stereo. 4 Button footswitch and the cab has removeable casters. Each channel has Gain, Presence, Volume, Bass, Middle, and Treble. The clean channel has a Bright switch while the Crunch and Lead Channels each have a notch switch. There's also a master Deep knob, 2 switchable Master Volumes, and an effects loop level knob. This amp can also accept a MIDI controller.

I love this freaking amp. In the past 2 years I've owned a Mesa Single Recto, Mesa DC5, and VHT combo. While they're all great, reliable amps, I was always wanting something more. More gain with less mud, more sizzle with less buzz...you get the idea.

On to the sounds:

Clean Channel: Nice! The bright switch seems to make the most difference when I'm playing on the neck pickup. It adds a nice tingle to the sound, even in the low frequencies. My only complaint about this channel is that it breaks up easily with EMGs. Other than that it's a very nice channel.

Crunch: With the Gain maxed, it won't get muddy. Very articulate and sounds, well, tubey!!! Sorta Marshall-esque. Flick the notch, and it scoops the mids and sounds brutal as hell. Nothing loses definition on this channel. Without the notch, you get a more warmer, vintage type sound best suited for Maiden type stuff, where you don't need the sizzle. The tone controls work very well. I have the bass, mid, and treble just past 1/2 and there's thump and sizzle for days.

Lead: Take the Crunch channel, double the gain and make it a little deeper. With the gain between 1/2 and 75% you will have all the gain you ever need. I'm a gain freak and I never thought I'd say an amp has too much gain. Notch this channel and you will sound fucking BRUTAL. When I first played this at home last weekend, I played this channel for like a minute, turned to my wife and said "holy shit I love this fucking amp!" Without the notch it's still killer. A little warmer and very open.

I'm hoping to jam with a drummer in the coming weeks to really put this amp through it's paces. So far, the sound is really consistent at all volume levels. And what I LOVE is there is NO volume jump. All my other tube amps had 2 levels: quiet and undefined and LOUD AS FUCK. I can play at bedroom and stadium levels with this summbitch. Another great thing is when I boost the mids, it doesn't start to sound hollow, you just feel the sound more.

If you want a very very brutal sound, this is your amp. I play mostly with the notch engaged but am realy warming up to the regular setting.

That's all for now. I'll probably add some more stuff and my pics later.

Comment

i couldn't have described it any better venomboy. I have a cobra head and it is awesome! Best amp ever.

Comment

I jammed with a drummer 2 weeks ago. After a few riffs he told me that my amp sounded awesome and said it was super clear. That was with the Cobra cab.

Today I auditioned for a thrash band. The other guitarist had a Triple XXX with a Peavey cab. He had a good sound. When I played, he was like "damn, that sounds great." All the guys in the band said it was crystal clear. I played through a Marshall 1960 cab that wasn't mine.

I have to say, even at loud volumes, the tone remains the same and does not mush out.

I don't yet have my footswitch but I'm using my Peavey PFC-10 MIDI foot controller to change channels and it works great.

Comment

Where did you guys get your Framus amps? I am looking to get one.

thanks,

Rich

Comment

There are hardly any US dealers around. I checked their websites and none of them are nearby NY.
            Any clues?

Comment

Currently there's only 6 US dealers. I hear good things about Rock Solid Amps: www.rocksolidamps.com

You'll probably have to go mail order.

I got mine used but in brand new condition from a local guy.

Comment

Thanks.. I don't mind going mail order. Hopefully I can start making calls as soon as my tax refund arrives!

rich

Comment

if you can find one used go for it... they dont have great resell since they arent real big. I scored my cobra for 1300 shipped.

Comment

There was a Cobra on ebay a few days ago that sold for $1650. There was a Dragon on ebay that went for less than $1300 a while back.

Comment

Hmmmm...gonna look into a Cobra now!
                      You've successfully piqued my interest!

Comment

Venomboy,thanks for the great review.I know you said the cobra sounds good at all volumes and this is a real important part of the decision making process for me.Can you really get a nice high gain tone at low volume levels?Thanks.

Comment

One of the reasons I got it is because of the high gain at low volumes. I can honestly say the gain is ALWAYS there [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

This morning I played a bit with the Lead channel with the notch switch off. Immediately there's more mids and a more open sound. I boosted the treble and presence and cut the mids a bit and was able to get to a similar sound as with the notch engaged.

Comment

Working...
                            X