Solid State Amps Your Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid State Amps Your Opinions?

Looking for some feedback guys....not just the harmonic kind ...HaHa....I just played thru a Pevey XXL with my Les Paul and was impressed.Just wanted to see what you guys think... Thanks Rev.Timmy
    Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Re: Solid State Amps Your Opinions?

I'm buying an XXL soon. How's that for an endorsement?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
      I'm buying an XXL soon. How's that for an endorsement?
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] 'Nuff said! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Peavey XXL 1 Others 0 . With all the equipment that you have had Chuck ,that is a ringing endorsement. Thanks

Comment

I'm really impressed with Peaveys Transtube stuff in general. I have a 1x12 Bandit transtube that just kicks ass thru a Marshall B cab. I probably won't be playing in bands anymore so I need a good sounding flexable head that delivers at low volumes, and I can turn on and off ten times a day and not be worrying about tubes, not have a fortune in. The XXL kicks ass.

P.S. Stay the heck away from the one on the bay, please. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a Peavey Transchorus 210 that kicks major ass. 3 channels get everything from a JC120 to a 5150. It is part of the transtube series.

Comment

I traded for a Peavey Supreme head a while back and promptly sold my Carvin tube head. Didn't need it anymore. I own three heads, the Peavey and two Sunns, all solid state. I don't think that tube is better at anything with the exception of that Stones-style overdrive. I haven't ever been able to get that on a solid state amp, but my Carvin nailed it.

Comment

So Far, We've got some heavy hitters that seem to like the Peavey. What about the other brands? Thanks for the feedback,guys,but I really liked the Peavey too.

Comment

I own an HD147, which is an excellent head, but I am going to pick up an XXl or XXX as well. I just think peavey nails that deep crunch chugga thing.

Shawn
                  Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Here is my resounding endorsement for the Line 6 gear! I have been a tube snob for years, and played through a Line 6 HD and a Marshall cab, I was absolutely blown away!@ This thing sounds great, and it is so versatile, it will blow your mind. Outstanding 'modeled' tones, it is like having 40 amps at your fingertips. I bought it on the spot.

Comment

I am another HUGE Line 6 endorser!!! Just about everything from Line 6 kicks major ass. I have an original Flextone HD that ROCKS!!! and is mega powerful. It cuts through the mix of a loud mesa driven band with ease and also sounds great at bedroom level.

Comment

I'm also thinking about just sticking with solid state gear. Maybe the sounds aren't as godly, but they are damned good. And the flexibility and cheap price is a definite plus.

BM, the Sunn amps are solid state? I was under the impression that they're tube. How much are they. After hearing Sunn 0))) I'm getting interested in buying a Sunn amp.

Comment

I've always preferred squalid state for convenience, versatility, sturdiness, and lack of ongoing maintenance cost. Back in the day, I played through a Rocktron ProGAP (first ever modeling preamp?)+Tubeworks Mosvalve rig. When I started playing again a few years back, I split the difference with a Voodu Valve+20/20. I still love that setup, but recently, I picked up a Vetta cheap.

I have a couple of great all tube amps as well, but they've been banished to the basement. I may sell them. When I want to play I plug into the rack or the Vetta. The rack still has the edge on sustain, responsiveness, and liquid feel. The Vetta is more fun--but I enjoy tweaking sounds.

A side note: when I saw Lillian Axe last week-end, Steve Blaze was playing through a couple of Johnson heads with Recto cabs. His clean patches may have had the effect mix a bit too high, but his tone was fine.
                          This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

My Flextone HD sounds so good live the other guitar player in my band is selling his triple rectifier and buying a Vetta. I got compliments after every set. Every guitar player there was impressed with my sound. They all had basically the same comment: "it sounds like the record". To some that would be an insult but I love reproducing the sound of a player I am copying as perfectly as possible. My Dokken patches are EXACT. My Peavey Transtube sounds exactly like a tube amp. It even feels like one when I am playing.

Comment

I'm a HUGE Line6 fan and have the following;

Flextone HD head (I'll never part with it)
                              Spider 1x12 combo
                              Pod Pro

I bought the Pod Pro brand new at GC for like $600 a while back.
                              One thing to note with the Line6 gear, GET THE BIGGER FLOORBOARD - It makes the units come to life and really shows their flexibility!

I primarily used the Line6 Pod Pro in my live rig, which is basically Guitar > Preamp > G-Major > Power Amp.

For kicks, I bought a brand new Behringer V-Amp Pro (which was $175 BRAND NEW off eBay).
                              I put it in my rack to test it out and it ABSOLUTELY CRUSHED THE LINE6 GEAR - HANDS DOWN.
                              The amp models are better, the effects are better - It's now my main preamp and the Pod Pro sits unused now.

One thing with the clean channels in the Line6 units, it seems they are very weak when it comes to the amount of volume you can get out of them, so it makes you bring down the channel levels of your higher gain channels, then compensate by jacking up the main volume -- to me that kinda sucks.

Anyways; the V-Amp Pro doesn't do that.
                              I use the FCB1010 Midi controller and with this setup, I can get any tone I need plus hundreds that I don't.

Had I known 6 months ago what I know now, I would have bought only the V-Amp pro and saved myself the $600 the Pod Pro cost!

On the other hand, I've got an Engl 520 preamp that has the best damn high gain tone I've heard since my Engl Savage 120 head.
                              The only problem with it is that it's not Midi controllable and it's only 3 channels, which doesn't suit my needs; then again, this thread isn't about tube preamps.

In retrospect, if you're looking into preamps (since I have never tried the Behringer amps) - DON'T HESITATE to get a V-Amp Pro and a good power amp, try that route before you do anything and I don't think you'll look back!

Comment

Working...
                              X