Solid State Amps Your Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Solid State Amps Your Opinions?

I agree Jim, the V-Amp is killer. Especially the high gain amp models. I have had just about every type and brand of amp modeler. My favorite out of all of them is my 1st gen Flextone HD. Simple and killer. With the longboard it can do everything I need. Of course if I could have a Vetta or an HD147 I would be happier but I am pretty giddy now!! BTW, I am trying really hard to score that UV77MC. Hopefully I will have a successful liquidation sale over the weekend so I can come up with the funds. Solid State and modeling sure have come a long way!!

Comment

Peavey is by far the best solid state amp that I've ever played. So far, they've put up with some serious shit that I've put them through. I wouldn't put any faith at all in any modeling amp. I would buy one for recording purposes maybe, but if I could afford the full-blown tube setup you bet your sweet ass that's what I would do. (Dual Rectifier baby! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] )

Crate is okay if you have a good stompbox (the distortion is usually kinda puny though), and they aren't very tough. One good knock and it's back to the repair shop.

STAY AWAY from Behringer, Fender, and Ibanez amps.

The Marshall AVT series were okay, but Peavey still kicks its ass. I wouldn't even try the MG's.

You might check into Randalls. Never played them, but have heard mixed reviews.

As far as practice goes, Dinasour amps were actually okay. They're no Dual Rectifier, but they give you decent tone that won't muddy up your practice session.

Everyone will give you a mixed reveiw on the perfect amplifier. Everyone has their own distincitve flavor on sound. So far, I actually have many different "favorite tones", but if you made me pick one, I'd have to say the tone heard on "Better to Reign in Hell" and "Hurt and Virtue" of Cradle of Filth's Damnation and a Day album. Other favorite tones are those featured in God Hates us all, Ride the Lightening, And Justice for all, LD50, and Anthems of Rebellion. I don't like the identical tones of each of these albums, I would use my own little tweaks to them. But just thought I'd let you know where I come from.

Comment

My main home amp for the past several years has been a Peavey TransTube Special 212, and a TransTube Express 112 before that. I like how my tube amps sound, but I think Peavey solid state amps come out on top in terms of "bang for the buck". If I ever decide to pick up a head, I'd probably opt for an XXL unless an XXX came along for really cheap.
        sigpic

Comment

haven't heard the peavey stuff yet...but i've been a solid-state user for years...my ampeg ss-140s are solid state...d.m.
          http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Originally posted by metallicarocks:
            Ride the Lightening
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Anyone here ever play an old fender M-80? I've had one for 10 years now and still dig it.

Comment

i have one of those! they rock! no modeling though. great clean and crunch.

Comment

Well, I am personally a Crate fan.
                  I play through a GFX1200H head and 2 4x12 cabs...I really love the tone I have. I play mostly metal, and it works great for me. The clean tones are awesome also. Just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by T-Town:
                    Anyone here ever play an old fender M-80? I've had one for 10 years now and still dig it.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think Rusty Cooley uses one of those. Sounds good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
                      I'm buying an XXL soon. How's that for an endorsement?
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">you won't be disappointed thats forsure , but get the metal foot switch that goes with the xxx a far better foot switch [metal instead of plastic and wider foot switching] //Steve

Comment

I've found Solid state can be as good if not better for heavy distortions at low volumes, but I have never found one I am satisfied with playing cranked live. End of story. That's just my ears and my opinion. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

rich

Comment

Originally posted by diablomozart:
                          haven't heard the peavey stuff yet...but i've been a solid-state user for years...my ampeg ss-140s are solid state...d.m.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">DM, I gigged with one of those for a few years. It is a monster of an amp. Great clean, great chorus and reverb and a killer lead channel. Really loud too. 140 watts true stereo (70 per side). Possibly the best solid state 2 x 12 combo I have ever had the pleasure of owning and playing through. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by metallicarocks:
                            Crate is okay if you have a good stompbox (the distortion is usually kinda puny though), and they aren't very tough. One good knock and it's back to the repair shop.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have owned a crate G60GT for almsot twenty years. I have used it live and it has gone around the world with me while I was in the Navy. This is one of the toughest amps I have ever owned. The new ones may be weak but if you can find one of these older ones get it. But only get the GT series they came with celestions.

Comment

Deviltronix, I agree 100%. NOTHING could hang with my SLO in a band practice and live situation.

But I no longer need a "live" amp and DO need a good low volume sound. That's where SS shines.

Comment

what about randall, when you´re after a solid state?
                                i only own a RH100 but i think it´s quite good for the money
                                it delivers a wall of punch [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                                and the problems i had first with harmonics stuf are blown away since i use a marshall jcm800-cab with G12T75 wired to 4Ohms [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X