Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 combo vs. Triple XXX combo?

Hey fellas,

I'm likely to have to buy a new amp for rehearsing/small gigs in a couple of months, and my fave right now is the 5150 combo. I might like to get another half-stack, but it'd probably have to be a modded jcm800 of some sort as I can't shovel the dough needed for a new high class metal amp right now.(bogner/engl/mesa)
    The Engl Blackmore sig with 4x12" isn't going for much less than $3500 here, and the second-hand market is dominated by (dull) marshall amps.

However, I wanted to see if any of you have owned/tried the new triple xxx 2x12" combo and how it compares to the old 5150 2x12" combo.

My music style is metal(melodic), so I need some high gain but not over-saturation. I feel that the voicing of the amp is the most important thing for me.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome!

- Rune.

Re: 5150 combo vs. Triple XXX combo?

I gigged with a 5150 combo for 2 years. Here is my take on it. ITS FRIGGIN HEAVY AS A MOTHER!!!
    They should include a roadie with purchase. It weights over 80lbs and is very awkward to carry.
    Buy a head and a cabinet instead. It is easier to carry and more versatile. I would also suggest looking at the Triple X mainly because it is 3 channels and the clean is much better than the 5150.

Comment

my other favourite pastime is powerlifting, my personal best deadlift in competition is 207.5 kgs (457.5 lbs) so I'm not really concerned about the weight of any amps [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I am also under the impression that the 60W combo sounds better than the head+cab, although I haven't tried the mk2 yet.
      thanks for your advice though.

- Rune.

Comment

207 Kg. That's a lot.
        You're one strong mother...

Comment

Hey I power lift too!!! Just bench press though.
          5-8", my weight between 198-202lbs., I compete at my weight of 198.25lbs. My best is 385lbs. I am currently working at the 405lbs. level and I have a competition coming up at the end of the month. Hopefully I will be at my goal but most likely not. You know how heavy just 5lbs more is when up at that level! I think that the head and cabinet sound better than the combo. I have had both. I have never really been a fan of heavy metal high gain combos anyway. The 60watt combo is a more useable wattage and it does have a very nice reverb. You have to turn it up pretty loud to get some serious thump out of it. The head and cabinet thump factor is right there from bedroom level to stage volume. I guess either way you can't go wrong. The 5150 and the Triple X are both great amps.

Comment

Working...
          X