Johnson Millenium head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson Millenium head

At a show I did sound for the other day, the guitarist in one of the bands was playing through one of the 250 watt Millenium heads and had a wicked huge distorted tone...I don't know if it was actually as good as I perceived it to be, given that it was a punk show and everyone was going for that punk sound except this dude, who ripped out the breakdown in Angel of Death during their soundcheck...

After hearing that guy's sound, I've become really interested in these amps...there's one for sale locally for a good price, so I was wondering what you guys thought about this stuff? Also, whats the affiliation with Digitech? I heard something about this amp being like the Artist preamp but with a poweramp built into one box...is it actually the same electronics or is that just a comparison that I misinterpreted? And whats the situation as far as how these things work? I recall something about a tube preamp and a SS power stage...anyone able to verify that?

Thanks dudes!

Re: Johnson Millenium head

Dumpy,,

I owed a Johnson mellinium 150 2X12 combo awhile back and I can't say enough about how cool that thin is. For a modeling amp, "In my opinion" it's the best sounding one out there. I ran it through a Marshall 4X12. I do suggest reading the manual!! It's not that hard to figure out, but you will not believe what you can do with that thing once you get inside of it! I give it 2 thumbs up!

Scott

Comment

I gigged for a while with a Marquis 60 through a 2 x 12 seperate cabinet. That totalled 6 speakers. The Johnson gear is well priced and sounds great. The tube preamp really does give it a warmth that other modellers lack.

Comment

I use the millinium stereo 150 2x12 combo.The amp combinations are endless,you can tweak input power, contour,wet/dry mix etc.Its a great amp.The dual rectifier solo is my fav setting.You have amreican made amp setting as well as british amps combo/stack settings, built in tuner too.I've run thru a Jackson 4x12 cab and marshall 4x12s and it pushes the cabs with ease.Grab the head if the price is right you won't be sorry.Go to there web sight if you need to down load a manual. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Scatterbrain comes to mind...

"Everybody needs a source of power,
          A hammer works for Thor but I got Johnson power"

...then again Steve Blaze uses 'em.
          This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

I played around with the combo version for a bit out here and was very impressed. The prices these things go for are just killer as well.
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I've got a Millenium 150 2x12 as well. You will never have more fun with an amplifier, ever. So many options. I also use it when I play small places and parties instead of my half stack. I got the hot rodded Marshall tone I need, and it's a helluva lot easier to lug around.

Comment

Holy Crap! A Scatterbrain fan! And I felt so alone...
                One of the bands I was in did just a couple of covers, and on my insinstence, that was one of them. Mr Johnson and the Juice Crew!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
                  Mr Johnson and the Juice Crew!
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LOL. Scatterbrain rocks!
                  Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

The afilliation with Digitech is; John Johnson is Digitechs head R&D guy and he developed the Millenium and MArquis amps. It is essentailly a 2120 Artist with a power amp in one box. I haven't played with one in a while but I remember them having lotd of options and flexability. I like the refferance lights for the knobs; thats the one thing I think Line 6 could use. GC stoppped selling them because we ddint sell enough of them compaired to the Line 6 stuff.
                    Gil

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
                      Holy Crap! A Scatterbrain fan! And I felt so alone...
                      One of the bands I was in did just a couple of covers, and on my insinstence, that was one of them. Mr Johnson and the Juice Crew!
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LOL I saw Scatterbrain open for Savatage around '89/'90. They were great! They threw hotdogs and mustard at the crowd at the end of the show!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Hey dude, don't call me dude! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

[ March 17, 2004, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

DUDE? DUDE!?! Slowly I turned .... [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Step by step by inch by inch by step by step by inch by inch....
                          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Great gigging amps if you half to match a lot of sounds. Doesn't cut through the mix as well as some amps,but the ability to dial up tones quick is a plus. I would purchase this amp if I played in a bar band that played a lot of different styles of music.

Comment

A few years ago when I was searching for a new amp, I tried the JM combo at a GC at VERY low volumes and loved it. Very tight, compressed sound that I really liked. Got it home, turned it up a little more...and all that tight, compressed sound washed away in a blur of blah. Took it back to the store.

Not long after that, I just happened to find the JM head and cab together used in a store and decided to try them out. Hmm...seemed a bit better to me, but did basically the same thing. Once you opened it up, it just became too loose and generic for my taste.

I've also owned the Digitech 2120...same sorts of issues, even with high end Mesa and VHT power amps, and my usual gaggle of other rack crap to help it out.

Then again, others have loved all these units...just depends on taste... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Stu

Comment

Working...
                              X