Effects loop level questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effects loop level questions

So I'm thinking of running a delay pedal thru my Framus Cobra head's loop. The Framus manual states that pedals shouldn't be run thru the loop and doesn't really give an explanation. The Input/output sensitivity of the loop is 0db.

The Boss DD3 and DD6 both have input/output sensitivity of -20db. The input impedance is 1 mega ohm. The output impedance is 1K ohm. The load impedance is 10k or greater. That's all from Boss tech support btw. The Boss guy also told me that most rack stuff is +4 in/out.

I'm guessing that if I put a delay in the loop it's gonna distort or do something funky.

Any comments on this? I've never run into this situation before.

Re: Effects loop level questions

Most pedals run at -20db. Most rack gear is +4db. If the fx loop was optimized for pedals, then it wouldn't match rack gear and vice versa. Most of the better amps with effects loops have a +4/-20db switch on them so you can use pedals OR rack gear. I can't remember which way is which, but one mismatch is really hissy and loses tone, the other one is too distorted and won't give a clean signal. If you are going to keep that amp and want delays, get a cheap Rocktron Intellifex - I got one for under $100 and it was great sounding...

Oh, you can't hurt anything on the amp with a mismatch - might as well see how bad it is.

Pete

Originally posted by Venomboy:
    So I'm thinking of running a delay pedal thru my Framus Cobra head's loop. The Framus manual states that pedals shouldn't be run thru the loop and doesn't really give an explanation. The Input/output sensitivity of the loop is 0db.

The Boss DD3 and DD6 both have input/output sensitivity of -20db. The input impedance is 1 mega ohm. The output impedance is 1K ohm. The load impedance is 10k or greater. That's all from Boss tech support btw. The Boss guy also told me that most rack stuff is +4 in/out.

I'm guessing that if I put a delay in the loop it's gonna distort or do something funky.

Any comments on this? I've never run into this situation before.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

My old Marshall Valvestate's loop has a push button switch for 0dB for rack units and -20dB for pedals. There's also an effects mix knob for the loop so that you can blend in the amount of effect from a dry signal to fully wet. I believe some newer Marshalls have a +4 instead for rack units.
      My Mesa has just an effects loop mix control for dry to wet, but it doesn't say whether it's for rack systems or pedals. Just set the control accordingly and see what sounds best to you.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks!

I'm trying to avoid rack gear because I'd like everything in a pedalboard. I don't own a delay pedal yet but I might buy one and try it thru the loop and return it if I don't like the results.

Comment

Yeah, some pedals can be funny in the loop. I've got the Line 6 MM4 and DL4 pedals. Someone on the Line 6 board said they were designed to be used in front of the amp, but I think they sound better in the loop. Though, when they're in the loop, there seems to be a little bit of a drop in sound compared to the regular amp sound, even with the mix knob of the pedal all the way up.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I test drove a Line6 Modulation Modeler and the manual does state it works best in front of the amp. I didn't like the pedal because I couldn't get a good level out of it. It was either too loud or too soft without much of an in between.

Comment

My amp has a switch for the level also, and I run both rack stuff and pedals and I don't have any problem with it set to the higher setting for the rack stuff.

My pedals are run through a GCX though that changes the impedance though. Could that make a difference?
              Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

I spoke with Framus' support guy and he said some pedals sound good thru the loop and others don't. He said to just try a couple and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                X