Amp Keeps dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Keeps dying

My friend has a rogue tuberider, and the head won't turn on. There's a fuse inside the head that blew, the second he replaced it, it blew again (after he turned it on of course). Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this? I can't seem to find any info on rogue heads online, i was hoping to find a wiring schematic.

Re: Amp Keeps dying

I think the fact that it is a Rogue is part of the problem...those heads are mega-cheap.

Comment

Rogue amps pretty low end but let me ask you:
      Does the amp smell like something burned inside?
      On a solid state amp (I assume that is what it is) there are many components that could cause the internal or external fuse to blow. Bad caps, resistors, diodes, transistors, transformers all could cause your problem. Be careful and open it up and look for burnt parts or vented capacitors. If you arent qualified and want it fixed, bring it to a repair shop. It might be a really easy fix but the shop is still going to hammer you. It probably isn't worth fixing if you can't do it yourself.

Comment

actually it's a tube amp, I already asked him if anything inside looked or smelt burnt, and nothing that he could detect.

I'm pretty handy with electronics, but i've never worked on tube equipment before, and my friend lives about 6 hours away so i can't even look at it.

[ March 18, 2004, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: nick ]

Comment

It's probably a bad tube that needs to be replaced. Have the tubes checked.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Tell him to unplug the amp and pull all the tubes. Install a new fuse and see if it blows. If it doesn't then he has a shorted tube. If the fuse blows even with the tubes out, then he could have a shorted output transformer(amp probably not worth fixing) or a shorted component. Since its blowing immediately after turning the power on, this indicates a dead or very low resistance short to ground, which is very easy to troubleshoot. If he decides to take the amp apart, tell him to very careful. The voltages inside a tube amp are very dangerous, and even though power is no longer applied, the filter capacitors in the power supply could hold a charge for a few minutes after the power has been removed. If he doesn't feel comfortable doing it, then advise him not to do it. Seek professional help.

Comment

It still blew, so it's not a tube. How would you determine if it's the transformer?

Comment

i dont suggest putting another fuse in there since it already blew 2..... it will probably just blow that one as well and possibly mess something else up in the amp.

A short could have caused it as well as other things.. You can look inside the amp but dont touch anything if you arent familiar with electronics very much. look for burnt resistors, exploded,buldgy caps, anything that looks wrong.

Comment

nevermind, i just read that you dont have access to the amp.

Comment

Working...
                  X