jackson amp experts ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jackson amp experts ?

I have a couple questions regarding the jackson amps.. I know they only did these a couple years..I am curious who was the manufacturer for jackson on these , I hear laney , and also marshall...I have seen 2 styles , a big head with metal grate and a smaller version without.....I am very happy with my old marshalls but have a few jackson cabs and was debating on buying a head at some point for grins ,just wanna know what I am getting into [and in for tone wise], or how versatile they are before I waste time or money...anyone ?
    thanks, john

Re: jackson amp experts ?

I think it was Laney. Want to get rid of your Jackson cabs ?? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Matt

Comment

thanks matt, the heads I am looking at sure look like laneys to me.... for now I am gonna keep the cabs...I have a line on the smaller sized head , which would apparently not be the same year as my cabs with the metal grating....I will find a matching 4x12, I 'd like a stack.....at that point I would likely off the [2] 2x12 or let my kid gig 'em.....I am a'70s marshall guy, and am doing this only for representation of the product line and for grins.....do you wanna sell anything along those lines ?
      best, john

Comment

Who made it depends on the model. The Reference and Apogee models were made by Steve Mauriello, who builds/built Chunky amps. East Coast guy I think. We emailed back and forth a few times discussing my Apogee combo, and he posted here a couple of times, but I haven't heard from him lately.
        sigpic

Comment

does anyone have any literature or pictures as reference ? I am not wanting to get into this big time but as I said wouldnt mind having "one" as representation...the jg2 model head seems to be fairly common and it would appear as though laney makes it, I am really not a laney fan , I never liked the preamp section and they seem to be very one dimensional amps....I just dont know enough about them to just buy anything that pops up...I want the most bang for my buck....I like combos and for marshalls all I buy is '77-78 50 watt units and run an ext 2x12 cab....john

Comment

i saw a lee jackson 2x12 combo at my local gc.
            i think it was a xls model or something.
            kinda sounded like a marshall jcm 800 to me.
            they had it for 599 if i remember correctly.

Comment

grover jackson guitars amps.... not lee jackson...john

Comment

John, I don't have any other pics of my Jackson amp online, but here's an "action" shot of my Apogee 50 tube combo:

(Warning...BIG pic)

http://www.under-eden.net/ryan_st_back.JPG

It's open-backed, with Celestion Vintage 30s. The clean channel is very good, and the lead (distorted) channel is good for a `70s hard rock tone. Not quite sufficient for doing my current death/thrash thing, but not bad sounding by any means.
                sigpic

Comment

nice looking rig!....ya there arent too many '70s-80s amps that can make that thrash sound... at that point its almost a mesa dual rectifier set up...I bought a half stack mesa locally last year [turned it], it was killer for that thrash sound and got the zakk squeels false harmonic thing nicely , but alas very one dimensional....
                  I tried my 78 marshall combo's brain through these jackson cabs I have and it was very british sounding , enclosed cabs do that very middy but more botto than I am used to......... I am of the open back top mindset and run an ext 2x12 just to shut the sound guys up on being too brite and tight...what year is your combo?
                  john

Comment

Ya know, I don't recall what year it is, but I believe it was from before the move to AMIC/Fort Worth. That picture was taken a year ago while recording my band's demo. The bottom cab is a closed-back Peavey 212M with Sheffields -- we ended up moving the Jackson's mic around to the back and keeping the Peavey's mic where it was.
                    sigpic

Comment

Joe (Charvel750) has some info on these heads, I think he may have had one.

I have a JG3, which is the 100 watt version of the JG2. Carpet covering, slanted front casing.
                      I think I measured the chassis at one time and it can be converted for rack mounted with not to much effort. These were manufactured in Europe. The tube config is similar to Laney. Four 12ax7's, four el34's and it is believed these are Laney built.

The Reference heads probably are what you are looking for as they have the metal grate front to match the cabs. These were as Ryan mentioned above. The guy who built Chunky amps.
                      I believe these amps are better rated for tone as well.

Comment

so what series do the jg-2 's fall into then ? the cabs I have are metal grated ... anyone have a picture of a correct cab for the jg-2 ? basically then the jg2 is a laney with maybe a few added bells and whistles ?
                        anyone heard a jg2, man I hated the early laneys around '82-3, similar ? ?
                        I am wanting something thats kind of all out metal grinding machine I have plenty of versatile amps ...though I would like a head to match my cabs or vice versa.......keep the info comin...
                        thanks guys.. john

Comment

john... if you want one just because it's a jackson amp, why not get whatever you can find in decent shape and have Trace Allen @ Voodoo Amps mod it? I've owned two of his modded amps - a witchdoctor and a Hex, and both were VERY cool amps. DanHops here on the board has had a few of Trace's amps also, and can attest to how good they sound.

Pete

Comment

Well, the tone aspects of the JG series were as Joe put it "sucks ass", I believe was the proper quote. I believe he thought they sounded to 'dark', not enough edge.

The tagboard looks a Laney Pro Tube, as does the Chassis. The circuit has some push-pull features.

If you want a tone monster as Pete suggests.
                            I would swap out the output transformer with a Mercury Magnetics, Hammond, Drake..whatever and do as Pete suggests... a gain mod.

Comment

well thats the only reason I want one....just as representation, got one locked in , its mint with tags, manual etc...not the cheapest, but I ve spent more and gotten less......but if it has that midrange and nothin else attainable nasaly laney sh!t tone , I will probably trade it away for a different model...again , I use old marshalls and am not looking to reshape/change my sound ,I just want some freakish appeal thing to have around to use around the house now and again....john

Comment

Working...
                              X