jackson amp experts ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: jackson amp experts ?

I take it you do not have the opportunity to try it out. If you have the opportunity to buy it on escrow or a trial, maybe that is the way to go. I never got a chance to use mine enough to get a good enough impression.

They look well built tho. I see the Reference 50 watters on ebay now & then, and they seem to match the cabs chrome/metal look which the grill has.

Comment

Just for grins - here's a clip of a JCM800 2203 I had for awhile - Trace modded it with a Hex mod, stock transformers. And yeah, I dialled in a ton of mids [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

http://members.cox.net/ampclips/bluedream.mp3

Pete

Comment

I really thought that amp was killer.. for 700.00 it was a great deal for anyone wanting a cool hi gain JCM800. Not to mention, I love the harmonic feedback that amp had while still having a real tight Marshall sound. "I wish I would have" is a common phrase I get myself into when I have no money when these things come around.

Comment

Yeah, the JG series really lacked in the tone department. I owned three of the 50 watt versions and ended up getting rid of all of them. The Reference series are very nice. Very similar in tone to the JCM 800 Marshalls. I have two of the 50 watt versions. I also have a pair of the original red coned Jackson 4X12's which were designed for the JG amps, but I use 'em with the Reference heads.
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Hey Joe, can you tell me which speaker brand the red coned cabs have in them? Did they have a metal grill like the Reference Cabs? I cannot recall, but I believe the answer was no..probably a black grill?

The Reference cabs are loaded with Celestion Gm12-70's.

Comment

Those older red coned speaker cabs had a black metal grill. The amp literature says Jackson designed their own speaker, which is most likely true. I have heard some say they used Emminence (sp?) but the Jackson catalog refers to them as "in house" designs. They are of course labeled with the white Jackson logo.

Comment

Thanks. I saw the JG carpeted cabs are not red coned, but have a black grill similar to the those.

Comment

the 2x12 cabs w/red coned speakers I ended up letting my son use have a silver grill and are capeted,, there are no signs of a repaint or alteration.... john

Comment

Yes, it is true that later JG cabinets were all black. But the originals were all black except the speakers:

Closeup of speaker grill:

Original JG full stack:

Comment

Working...
                    X