Tubes....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubes....

Do new power tubes have a break in period or do they sound any different after being used for a bit?
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: Tubes....

Supposedly they do break in, but I've never heard a difference...till they're shot that is.

You ain't diggin what you put in?

Comment

Chuck,

I put Svetlana el34's back in and now it seems like the amp has a lot more highs. It seems like my amp now sounds more like a classic type crunchy sound as oposed to a newer saturated type distortion.

Before it was somewhere in the middle. I had EH preamp tubes in it and I had to replace them with JJ's cause the highs were so shrill.

Comment

Hey Rick, I forgot to tell you this on the phone the other night but when I got my JJ EL34's they did have some excess crackling coming out of my amp for the first few weeks. This only happened within the first 2 minutes of playing though. Once the amp gets warm, it disappears.

I was worried at first that something was wrong but then I read a post on HC that said this was completely normal. I don't know if this counts as a "break-in" period but I just thought I'd give you a heads up.

Comment

Thanks Jason,

I used it at the show the other night and it jst totally rocked! I guess it was just my dumb fault for tesing it in my living room.

The new tubes sound a Lot better at lower voulme and it seems like the distortion is a cleaner type.

Comment

EL34's give more of that British sound.
            METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Working...
            X