Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall jmp-1 vs. Rocktron prophesy

Hey all..

I'm looking to buy a preamp that will give me a good thrash/speed metal distortion, and a channel for fast solo work.

I need a few opinions on the jmp-1 and the prophesy...which one should I go for? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: Marshall jmp-1 vs. Rocktron prophesy

I'm partial to my JMP-1 and a friend of mine just reorded direct with his and it's AWESOME .

I played John's voodvalve and has a bit heavy dstortion but lacks the definaition and harmonic character of the Marshall without a doubt!

I use an Uberschall and my Marshall 9200 / JMP-1 mixed both together (left and right) for recording and it's sounds KILLER and i'm just recording on a bullshit Tascam eight track at the moment!

I have not heard a better lead tone than the JMP-1 for the money PERIOD!.. It kicks my Uber's ass...the leads just fucking sing so nicely and harmonics just ooze out of it without effort.!!!

With my Uber I fight with that amp and play a lot heavier handed to get what I need to articulate when I play leads with that amp because of it's much darker tone....it's no where alive as the Marshall!

The marshall has a "white-noise" that a lot of people complain about , but I realize that is the nature of the beast to have those kinds of harmonics ...a good example of the white noise "hish" is a heard on "Panama"...cut the "hish" and you'll get nothin' but mud.

I'm much more impressed with the voodoovalve than I was with the Prophecy ..I thought it even sounded more lifeless and dull....IMO

Plus there a big difference in price between the two ...you should be able to snatch a JMP-1 for 'bout $300 on the bay ....

Hey I heard my same friend's recording with a POD pro and then with the JMP-! on the same recording gear with the same guitars ...No comparison

JMP-1 wins in recording everytime ..

[ March 20, 2004, 03:53 AM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I love the JMP-1! When I wanted to add some different, more distinctly "non-Marshall" tones to my rack, I never for a moment considered replacing my JMP-1; instead, I set my rack up with a switching system to use dual preamps... Whatever happens, the JMP-1 stays! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for the input guys...
        I'm gonna see if I can snatch a jmp-1 off ebay [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I preferred a soldano SP77 over the JMP1 I had... however, the SP77 has two channels, the JMP is midi programmable. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the soldano all the way.

Pete

Comment

I was in the market for a short while for an SP77 before I just bought my Bogner head.

I never heard one but I heard nothing but great things about them.

I just recorded a Uber Rythm track on the right and the same rythm track with the Marshall on the left ..man it sounds killer together [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

They blend nicely!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The JMP -1 is gay.... My voodu Valve slays it...

POS...

I have not heard a better lead tone than the JMP-1 for the money PERIOD!..
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hahahaha.... Hoooboy... Period ehh? Ehh, yer gay.... JMP-1 is well... I can't even describe it here...

But, I wouldn't spend for the Prophesy either...

VOODU VALVE...

Comment

Originally posted by horns666:
                I was in the market for a short while for an SP77 before I just bought my Bogner head.

I never heard one but I heard nothing but great things about them.

I just recorded a Uber Rythm track on the right and the same rythm track with the Marshall on the left ..man it sounds killer together [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

They blend nicely!
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">C'mon Bill, post it! I remember some stuff you and cleveland posted awhile back that kicked ass. Let's hear some more of it.

Pete

Comment

I haven't played the Prophesy, but I own a Chameleon 2000, which is basically just the Prophesy sound engine with a bunch of the extra features removed. I love its sound, very smooth and powerful, while still having a tremendous amount of gain.

I can't speak to comparing it to the Voodu Valve, but I also had the older original "blackface" Chameleon until recently, and the 2000 absolutely kills the blackface Cham in sound quality--a much "higher resolution" sound, if that makes sense. The blackface (which is similar in design to the Voodu Valve, but without the tube-gain stage) has more gain that you could possibly use (most I've ever heard in an amp/preamp), but I also found it to have mushy low-end unless you back way off using the pre-EQ (which takes a lot of the meat out of the sound), and a digital harshness/fuzzyness that the newer Cham 2000/Prophesy sound engine does not.

Of course, the Prophesy is WAY more money than the JMP-1, but you also get all of the effects, and Rocktron's quite usable speaker simulator.

Comment

My experience with the Prophesy was a bit different. I tried it with a 2:90 through a couple of Recto cabs, and no matter what I did to it, it sounded really flat and dull. I believe my Voodu Valve is superior in tone. With the Intellipitch added, my rig beats the Prophesy on effects as well.

The Voodu is essentially a Chameleon with a tube to smooth out the gain. As pro-fusion said, you have to play some games with the EQ to get a tight sound. I think it sounds great once you do that, and haven't noticed any digital harshness. I guess that may be the added tube.

The only complaint I have with the Voodu is that the noise gate adds some digital sounding artifacts to the decay of some notes. (You have to use the noise gate with higher gain sounds.)

Then again, I like my Vetta--so I may be tone deaf. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Yeah the JMP-1 gets some nice sounds, but I got tired of mine.

I now use a Rocktron Piranha and really love it. I don't think Rocktron makes them anymore, but it's a "high voltage" tube preamp like the JMP-1 & Prophesy. What's really nice is it has old-school amp-like controls, not those annoying buttons you get with the JMP-1.

Comment

I guess I should clarify on the Cham 2000/Prophesy thing that I'm using my Cham 2000 in a very unsual way for direct recording. Here's my signal chain:

guitar --> channel 1 of Furman PQ-6 parametric EQ --> Chameleon 2000 (no effects)--> mono output into channel 2 of PQ-6 --> ADA Ampulator speaker/power amp simulator --> TC Electronics G-Major effects unit --> mixing board.

When I used the blackface Chameleon, I took out the Furman EQ, but otherwise the signal chain was the same. And I found that the Chameleon was too tinny and fuzzy for my use. But I also send a pretty hot signal into the Cham 2000 by using hot pickups, cranking the input gain on both the Cham and the PQ-6 pretty high. That adds more sizzle into the sound than you'd get normally. Since the Cham 2000/Prophesy sound engine is 'smoother' than the older Cham/Voodu Valve circuitry, I can imagine how this might come off as a bit lifeless in a real world power amp/cabinet setup. But it works for my purposes.

Comment

you ought to try moving the G-major in front of the power amp/speaker sim.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Hey Pete..."C'mon Bill, post it! I remember some stuff you and cleveland posted awhile back that kicked ass. Let's hear some more of it."

Pretty soon ..we are attempting to put it all together very soon I hope . I can't wait to show you guys..It's just a tascam eight track ..pre-studio demo ...but it's sounds OK so far..

But it's just me on the geetars this time around..John and I went into different metal directions...too many black metal blast beats for his liking.... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Bert..I like Buttons it's paramereters I'm afraid of.. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I got the JMP-1 and think it's ok, but for my taste it just won't go overboard like I need it to... a little too less gain methinks... any good alternatives in the same budgetrange?

Comment

Working...
                              X