Marshall jmp-1 vs. Rocktron prophesy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall jmp-1 vs. Rocktron prophesy

Hey, I recorded a demo with the JMP-1. I have this posted in the MP3 section of this messageboard also, but if You want an example of the JMP-1 here it is:

http://crimsonthirst.hypermart.net/gates.mp3

Needless to say, I really like the Marshall unit. The distortion gets plenty brutal for old-school death and thrash type stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel:
      you ought to try moving the G-major in front of the power amp/speaker sim.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No can do. The Ampulator (for reasons unknown to me) is a single channel mono device, so you can't have any stereo stuff in the signal chain before it. I guess I could get another Ampulator, but they are rare (one comes up on eBay about twice per year) and expensive (about $500 when they do come up for sale). That may ultimately be what I have to do, however, since you are correct about having the effects before the power amp/cab section.

Comment

jmp1 is a good preamp no doubt about it, but you have to have your setup cranked for it to shine, otherwise it will sound flat, so if you're playing in your room, jmp1 wont do, rocktron chameleon on the other hand works fine, prolly cause its SS.
        cheers

Comment

There is one thing that the JMP-1 has that NO other preamp I ever heard has , besides it's short comings to some.

That is a good old true authentic Marshall tone ..whether it would be Plexi , JMP , 800 or 900 ..

Other preamps may have more gain and this and that but lack true "Marshall" character , feel and that defined voice (marshall lover's know!)!!!!

If you are a big fan of Marshall tone (like me) the only preamp that'll get you there is the JMP-1 PERIOD ...others may get you close but not there...despite what CM says . [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

That's why I still own it ...it's pure Marshall tone . I've owned , played , heard plenty AWESOME Marshalls.

I LOVE the tone of the Marshall and the JMP-1 is extremely consistant ...I know exactly what it's going to sound like before I fire it up for the last eight years....which gives me more time to write and play instead tweaking until inspired....which hardly happens on most of crap I've played.

This amp made me a good player...the other crap I've owned drained me , it was never consistant , and I was never happy ..Fuck the Uber is the best head I've ever owned or heard overall and that's not consistant ...one day AWESOME ...next day ..What the fuck happened?! [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

and like I said I got my Uber in one ear and the Marshall in the other and it forms a wall of brutality that kicked my ass when I played it back , I couldn't fuckin' believe it!...so NOW I know exactly what to do ...This , this is what I must do!!!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[ March 23, 2004, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I use a piano nowadays. they're pretty consistant with tone. as long as they've been tuned. I'm happy.

got a 10.000 dollar baldwin back home. it rules! especially for an upright! woohoo.

i'm durnk

Comment

Oh BTW I'm not in any way putting done the voodoovalve ...it's a fine preamp...I thought the prophesy was a lot of money for what it was....as is a new JMP-1 for that matter.

But I think the JMP-1 has that alive Marshall sig that I love....awesome lead tone.

Plugging a JMP-1 in front of a Marshall JCM 800 supposed to kick ass ..a few guys around Cleveland do that shit.....I never heard it myself but I've been told it sounds great...John knows the dude ??!!

The JMP-1 was has been out for nearly ten years , they still make them exactly the same ..no changes at all....a "smidge" more gain would be cool...it almost has enough but not quite ...but it sounds heavier than you realize on tape..when you hear it , it sounds like it has tons of gain..sounds just like Glen Drover (Eidolon) to be quite honest.

I know he could plug right into this thing and go ..Well OK then. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It does comes across pretty damn cool , to my ears anyways! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

can you guys post some of your presets for the jmp-1? that clip that was posted sounds good.....i gave up the jcm800 for the jmp-1/mesa 2:90 combo.....
                www.myspace.com/adawnwithin

Comment

Dude heres how I have mine most of the time

For my heavy / thrash , black metal shit I do..

Set it to OD2 channel / Bass shift - on
                  Volume 18-20 (mostly 20) / Gain 20 / Bass +6 / Mid -2 (scoop it more if you want ) / Treb +6 / Pres +3 - +6 / effects is up to you.....mine is fairly dry....That's my main program .

If it sounds too bassy or muddy ...turn bass shift off .

I like to leave it off and use my BBE 422 to thicken it up...seems more defined that way.

This is ran with a Marshall 9200 Monoblock with 5881's not the El34's ..

and a Marshall JFX-1 which they don't make anymore...I use it for a little delay , it has a great delay sound.

into four Marshall 1960b cabs

it's standing right next to me ..I still love it ...I must have my wall.

I wish I had roadies to carry my wall ... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I use mine set to OD2channel bass shift off

volume 20/gain 20/bass 3/mid 0/treble 2/prescence -2

that goes into a typical V-type graphic Eq into my replifex into my BBE where I give +2 bass and +3 process

this into my peavey 50/50 poweramp into my boogie cab and it's quite heavy concidering my guitar's tuned to A#

Comment

Working...
                    X