Fender Rocpro 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Rocpro 100

I"m too lazy to do a search...I know they've been discussed many a time.

I recently saw this badboy included on Mikael Akerfeldt's list of current equipment. on opeth.com

Does anybody have some sound samples of it? Is it capable of a death metal sound...like opeth's? perhaps like their earlier records? (orchid, morningrise) [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: Fender Rocpro 100

Was there a 100, or is it 1000? I've got the 1000 head, but don't know if they ever made a 100 or not. I know they had the 500, which was 50 watts, so I'm assuming it's just a typo (but you really never can tell [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

Anyhoo, it's not capable of very high gain, and it gets loud until 6 or 7, then it just doesn't get better after that. It's a single tube preamp into a solid state power section, so there's nothing special about it. He may have had his modded, or he's got a pedal in front of it. Or he's using high-gain pickups. Then again, I haven't heard the guy, so I don't know what his tone sounds like - I just know the RocPro 1000 head cannot get a distortion similar to Rust In Peace or Master Of Puppets. You'd either need a second guitarist to make the gain sound fuller or you'd need to boost the preamp (pedal/ADA/Duncan Distortions, etc).

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

That's interesting, Newc; ever changed the preamp tube?

I tried a RocPro 1000 head along with several others in a Guitar Center one day. A salesman had come over to tell me to turn it down, as 14-y-o brats butchered Blink 182 loudly in the room.
      I went to his manager, who made him haul amps into and out of the soundproof room for me for the next few hours! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anyway, I thought it was quite similar to the Marshall VS100 head, but with a better clean channel. The distortions were a bit more Fendery, but I thought it had plenty of gain. What I didn't like about it and the VS100 was that the crunch channels had more volume than the lead channels did. Sure, you can just turn the crunch channel down to compensate, but I thought the lead channel should be loudest.

I really enjoyed punking that male b1tch for telling me to turn down though!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
        I went to his manager, who made him haul amps into and out of the soundproof room for me for the next few hours! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ha ha! Nice one, Rich. I believe it was an unwritten policy at my store to never ask anybody to turn down or stop. The salesdudes would have to "grin & bear it".
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Come to think of it, I never did check to see if it was a 12ax7 or not [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Guess I should - I've had it for 4 years now [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yeah Ron, it was fun, I tell ya! The guy told me once, and I said I was interested and had $, but I needed to hear the amp. He persisted, so I made him take me to the manager. I made my "I'm not a tire kicker" speech and showed the manager my Guitar Center card, and a walletful of cash and Visa and Mastercards. He put the salesman at my disposal! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

That was the GC on Sunset in Hollywood, believe it or not. I guess the sales crew thinks they're rockstars themselves!
            Well, look at the Randy Rhoads snafu and I guess you can see they don't pay attention to things like they should!

Newc, just saw your post! Yeah, if you didn't get it new, the tube might be old, or a different value like a 12AT7 or 12AU7, with lower gain. It
            may just be a low-gain tube. A high gain tube could make a big difference
            to that amp, though the volume limits will be the same.

[ March 22, 2004, 05:02 AM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
              showed the manager my Guitar Center card, and a walletful of cash and Visa and Mastercards. He put the salesman at my disposal! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I got the same royal treatment when I was there Thursday, but all I had to do was say I was a representative of the Jackson Forum! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              Man, did they snap to! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

hmm weird, I mention the JCF at a guitar center and they immediately leave me alone. Kind of a bullshit repelling statement I guess. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

anyway though. Yeah I meant to say rocpro 1000

here's the gear list on from the site

Equipment Electric guitars: PRS Custom 24 (blue quilt), PRS Custom 24 (black quilt) PRS CE24 (black) Fender Stratocaster 1975 (black), Fender Stratocaster 1972 reissue (natural), Gibson Les Paul standard (Tobacco sunburst) BC Rich Mockingbird (black)
                Acoustic guitars/steel string: CF Martin 00016GT (with Fishman pickup), CF Martin 00028, Takamine EF385 (12string), Seagull S6CW (with Fishman pick up)
                Acoustic guitars/classical nylon: Amalio Burguet 3am (cedar top), Landola CT2/w. Fishman pickup
                Amps: Laney GT100L w/cabinet, Laney VC100, Laney VC30, Fender 1000 Rocpro

The Laney should be a GH100L that is a typo. since there isn't a GT100L but that's not the point. Didn't yngwie used to use a rocpro? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I also have a Fender Roc-Pro 1000 half stack. I personally think that it's more than capable of high gain rhythm excursions. I've also never had the volume past 3 (and that's to play with live drums). I do much prefer the yellow gain stage to the red. You have to be careful about feedback with this amp though (that's the only thing I don't like about it) probably because it's a Fender and they designed it with single coil equipped Strats in mind and not humbucker equipped shred machines like Jackson & Ibanez guitars [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Yo Drip, I dunno how Mikael and Peter sounded when you saw them, but when I did, they didn't really have a death metal tone at all. They had a tone that cut, not a whole lot of distortion, not really too much chug or thunk, but it was a nice bright tone that cut when the band played and sort of sucked when just they played.

Comment

i like the roc pro just fine.

1 12ax7 and it sounds great! and cheap too!

~JW
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by lerxstcat:
                        showed the manager my Guitar Center card, and a walletful of cash and Visa and Mastercards. He put the salesman at my disposal! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I got the same royal treatment when I was there Thursday, but all I had to do was say I was a representative of the Jackson Forum! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                        Man, did they snap to! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
                        </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ah yes, but the JCF did not exist back in 1998 when my adventure occurred! I was left to my own devices, so I did okay!
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
                          Yo Drip, I dunno how Mikael and Peter sounded when you saw them, but when I did, they didn't really have a death metal tone at all. They had a tone that cut, not a whole lot of distortion, not really too much chug or thunk, but it was a nice bright tone that cut when the band played and sort of sucked when just they played.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yeah I know what you mean. I liked the tone just fine though. I'm just curious is all.

Comment

Working...
                          X