THD yellowjacket w/el84's ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THD yellowjacket w/el84's ??

The only issues I have heard anyone mention is that you need enough head room in the amp for the tubes to fit on top of the yellow jackets. But EL84's are perfect tubes to use in a small room. That's what I have in my Mesa 20/20 and they compress nice and early to get a great sweet power tube tone. Now I am questioning going from 6L6's to the EL84's. I know you can use EL34's and 6L6's in the same kind of socket but doesn't that require a pretty big change in the bias adjustment? I thought the yellow jackets were specifically for going from EL34's down to EL84's. But I'm not positive. Definitely check that out before trying it.
    We must!
    We must!
    We must increase the bust!
    The bigger the better!
    The tighter the sweater!
    The boys are counting on us!

Re: THD yellowjacket w/el84\'s ??

No, there's no bias adjustment needed when using the Yellowjackets. You can jump from 6550s and it will work. Thats the whole point behind the converters. They are changing the amp from class AB (push/pull) to class A (each tubes does push and pull).
    Indeed, the length of the adapter and the EL84 on top of that is the big concern, but if you can physically fit them, that would be a good way to go.

Comment

EL84s rock!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] My Mesa F-30 has a pair with four 12AX7s, and it's great for living room playing. It also gets pretty damn loud for jamming with a drummer.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

20 watts is still very loud for an apartment. If you are planning on buying them strictly for that an attenuator would be a better option.

Comment

THD yellowjacket w/el84\'s ??

Ok im looking at getting a MESA rectoverb soon. i was wondering if the THD yellowjacket w/el84s would be good to make this amp apartment friendly, figure it would only be about 20-30watts. also is there any issues with using these things. could this create problems going from the 6L6's back & forth to the EL84's.

Comment

Working...
          X