Soldano HOTMOD. Anybody use one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldano HOTMOD. Anybody use one?

Looking to get more grunt/body out of my SLO clean channel with the crunch switch active. I have run a boss OD pedal in front of it but it is too buzzy sounding. Not opposed to running other OD pedals in front of it but I have not found the right one I guess. I tried a Tube Screamer and that was better but still buzzy. I have also tried eq pedals in front and that just made it crappy too. Has anyone tried a Hotmod? How about with an SLO? Chuck? SLO100? Anyone else? I don't want to mod the head by getting rid of the effects loop and using that as an extra gain stage on CH1 so that is not an option.

Re: Soldano HOTMOD. Anybody use one?

Actually, getting rid of the loop and making it a Bual Super Overdrive IS your best answer.
    Otherwise, the Analogman modded TS9 with all the options, including the silver option like the one I just sold, is the way to go. I went down the pedal road, long ways, got lost, had to stop and ask for directions, the wife was pissed, the kids were out of control...
    Um, anyway...the Hot Mod I've never used, but a couple folks I respect on the Harmony Central amp forum have and said it just makes tons of indistinct gain...destroying the very thing that makes the SLO king shit.

Comment

Cool. That is what I wanted to know. I am going to try the Analogman then. Thanks bud.

Comment

I checked into one of those before and found that it was intended for certain Marshall’s and Fenders. It wasn't made for just modding any amp.

I'm sure it was an "Ask Mikey" article where Mike Soldano explained that this was never intended to go into just any amp but more for old Marshall’s and Fenders.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Here, I found it! It's the second question down.

http://www.musicianshotline.com/arch...2002/06_02.htm
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Somebody give Dave a gold star! A+

This was exactly what I wanted to know. Maybe I should try a GTO. I think I am going to call Soldano too and ask a few ???. Thanks for the input guys. Anyone else?

Does anyone have an Analogman TS they can loan me for a few days?
            [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'll pay the shipping both ways!

Comment

hm...i think this may be my 1st post ever in this forum, but pete was telling me about the hotmod and adding it to my jcm800. i know that this is kinda what dave had said it was made for, but anyone have an idea how much they are and where to get them? and if i should even bother? the jcm is too damn loud to play at home and have it sound good, so if it's a waste of dough for my situation, i won't bother just yet.

sully
              (SO not an amp guy [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

EDIT: just read that ask mikey column (thanks dave!) and it looks like i'm sol as far as getting the hotmod, as they don't make it anymore. but what about this gto thingy? is this a pedal?

[ March 25, 2004, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Ebay. They are out of production so used or NOS (if you could find one as they have been out of production for a few years now) from somewhere would be your only place to get one. The go for around $200 - 300 on ebay. You could always call Soldano and see if they would make you one but it I dont know if it would be cheaper then finding a used one.

I just read your edit.... Heh heh. I posted right after you.

The GTO is a pedal that plugs into the wall. They go for $250 and up on ebay used. IT has two 12ax7's in it. and I will post an article I found on it if I can find it for you.

Edit again... HEH HEH.

Here you go Sully...

http://www.soldano.com/new/newsite.html

[ March 25, 2004, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Firebird V ]

Comment

IMO, I don't think the GTO into the front of the JCM would be the trick set up, FYI.

Sounds like Sully needs a Hotplate.
                  THD Site

Comment

Yeah. If I got it right you are looking to turn up the amp to get the gain pushed but can't have the volume so loud. I need the volume loud on CH1 to have more gain. I have to look but I was using a Rockman power brake soak thing... it works like a power brake or a THD I can't remember what the hell it is called at the moment but if I can find it I will send it to you to check out Sully to see if that will work out for you. I got it for nothing so I will give it to you if I can find it. If I cant then I probably sold it but I will look this weekend. The name of it was a ROCKMAN ____________? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Comment

Okay Chuck. Oh wise one! I just bought a TS-9 with the silver mod on EBay. $150 shipped. Hope that was a good price. Anyway. You have always got me going in the right direction so I am going to try your advice again. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Chris

Comment

Well, you done good. I'm proud of you.
                        What the deal with the silver mod is, is it tames a lot of the TS9s midrange hump. An SLO needs no such thing in the front of the normal channel. I ran the pre on that normal channel at about 9, and the output on the TS9 wide open, distortion at about nine o'clock, and tone at nine o'clock.
                        The overdrive channel will get out of control beyond 5 with the TS9 and you can't switch them at the same time (or maybe you can), so now the warm patty is a 5751 in the #2 tube socket. With that tube you can run around 6 to 7 and still not get silly with the gain.
                        OK, bass on 11, mids on 4, treble on 6, presence on 4, masters to taste, and thats what worked with my cabs and my music.
                        As you've no doubt found, the masters at 4 is where the amp just starts to Get It. 5 on the masters and your in tone heaven.

Great. Now I miss my SLO. Thanks. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey thanks for the settings. I am stoked to try them out.

I have a feeling once you get settled in back east you will be hunting for another SLO.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, probably YOURS!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V:
                              Yeah. If I got it right you are looking to turn up the amp to get the gain pushed but can't have the volume so loud. I need the volume loud on CH1 to have more gain. I have to look but I was using a Rockman power brake soak thing... it works like a power brake or a THD I can't remember what the hell it is called at the moment but if I can find it I will send it to you to check out Sully to see if that will work out for you. I got it for nothing so I will give it to you if I can find it. If I cant then I probably sold it but I will look this weekend. The name of it was a ROCKMAN ____________? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's called the Power Soak, and was the first popular attenuator. Had one, with no problems, but some say they're hard on
                              transformers. I also have THE first commercial attenuator, the Altair PW-5
                              attenuator. Have also heard they blow amps, but haven't blown mine with it. They also say the solder joints will melt with extreme use, causing the amp to jump to full power abruptly. Again, haven't had this problem.

Maybe it's because I don't dime the amps with the attenuator, I run them at about
                              12 O'clock on the master volume. Both of these attenuators tend to mud your tone the more they attenuate, so my best tone was with the amps on half and the attenuator not used as heavily.

The THDs are of course suposed to not harm the amp, but they're rather pricey compared to the Power Soak, which can be had for $50-$75. They also are supposed to affect your tone less, but like I said
                              use the cheap one wisely and it seems to work well. They also have impedance switches wheras with the THDs you have to choose one impedance and buy that. If you want to add a cab you're screwed unless you can juggle the impedance back to what your Hotplate is for.
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X