Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soldano HOTMOD. Anybody use one?

Originally posted by jsullysix:
    hm...i think this may be my 1st post ever in this forum, but pete was telling me about the hotmod and adding it to my jcm800. i know that this is kinda what dave had said it was made for, but anyone have an idea how much they are and where to get them? and if i should even bother? the jcm is too damn loud to play at home and have it sound good, so if it's a waste of dough for my situation, i won't bother just yet.

sully
    (SO not an amp guy [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

EDIT: just read that ask mikey column (thanks dave!) and it looks like i'm sol as far as getting the hotmod, as they don't make it anymore. but what about this gto thingy? is this a pedal?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What also might work for you is a Kasha Quikmod (Ebay; also no longer made). he idea's similar to the Hotmod except it plugs into your tube socket, then has a small box with a gain control on it for adjusting how much of the extra gain you want. You'd be using your master volume still, but the extra gain might punch up your low-volume tone.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

If you can find a quick mod, buy it!!
      I had two of these running with my old superleads and man do they sound good! Pre and post gain controls onthe unit and you can dial in great sounds with it. Highly recommended.

As far as the attenuator, I wouldn't use anything but a hotplate or Dr Z or Allesandro...a high end one. The Rockman unit really flattens the sound, and I wouldn't trust the Altair or the Marshall powerbrake. You may have had good luck, Rich, but I'm not going to trust my output transformer to luck.

Comment

How about THD Yellow Jackets? They reduce power right? Would it decrease the power enough that you could crank the Volume up but not get to loud? Anyone use these?

Hey Chuck - Mine aint going anywhere anytime soon but if it ever does you got first dibs for sure! You always end up going back to Soldano. Right? It is your veins! Live it. Breathe it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
          If you can find a quick mod, buy it!!
          I had two of these running with my old superleads and man do they sound good! Pre and post gain controls onthe unit and you can dial in great sounds with it. Highly recommended.

As far as the attenuator, I wouldn't use anything but a hotplate or Dr Z or Allesandro...a high end one. The Rockman unit really flattens the sound, and I wouldn't trust the Altair or the Marshall powerbrake. You may have had good luck, Rich, but I'm not going to trust my output transformer to luck.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, that's why I disclaimed them a couple of times. Also, the amp I used those on was a Traynor YBA-1 head with YC-610 cabinet, and old Traynors are way overbuilt, so that could also have been a factor. Anyway, I sort of used it for what you'd use Yellowjackets for - to bump the amp's power down to half, then still use the master volume. (YBA-1s don't come with master volume, I added it) I only dimed it out for a few minutes when I first got the Altair, just to see if it worked all the way. I HAVE used the thing off and on for 25 years though without blowing anything up, and if I'm particularly lucky it's ONLY in this one area then! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I've also known lots of people who've blown Marshall power transformers with nothing but guitar, amp and cord, so they have their own rep for blowing, period. Obviously in that case you don't want to increase the odds.

[ March 26, 2004, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

LOL! I had one let go while the amo was on standby! [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X